Winmail in Windows 10?

Reaction score
Has anyone found a way of getting Winmail (the old Vista app - NOT Live Mail) into Windows 10?
Winmail was (and is) a simple, small efficient app (I suppose there's 3 reasons for MS removing it) that was glitch free and preferred by many over Outlook.
I managed to do it in Windows 7, (both on 32 and 64 bit machines), by using a couple of registry hacks, a line of code and a replacement .dll file from a tutorial (which I still have in my archives) going back to 200 . Although Windows 7 does not support Winmail, the directory was still there under programs directory. It's also in Windows 10 and it contains all but one of the required files, crucially the .exe file. This is missing. I cannot imagine why the others have been left in but, there we are.
So 2 questions:
Has anyone actually managed to do it? If so how. No theoretical guesses please,
Will mayhem ensue if I simply copy an .exe file over from one of my old Windows 7 PCs?

Reaction score
I don't have an answer for you.
However, I cannot help myself from replying to you.
I used Windows Mail in Vista era for 2 years, then switched to WLM .
I am still using it. That's about 4 or 5 years now
So, I do have fair amount of experience on both programs.
Why do you find WLM so bad that you won't even give it a try ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
There are one or two "hacks" floating around on the web. There is also the built in Mail App, which , in it's simplicity, might be of use to you?
But, I agree with David. Windows Live mail as a desktop program, is easy to use and has just about every feature the average person could need in a Mail program. If you only need simplicity, then you can, after the initial set up, ignore all the extra features.

Reaction score
Or get a cheap copy of vista basic on ebay and dual boot. And just use vista for all your old apps.

Ask a Question