SOLVED 17741 Install

Reaction score
When I tell Build 17741 to update and shutdown, it goes straight to shutdown without updating anything. Same thing when I tell it to restart and update. I have cleared out my software distribution downloads and checked my services to ensure everything is running. Any other suggestions how I can get a new download for updating. When I go into my settings/security and updates, it shows I have an update (17741) ready to install upon restart. Restarting only restarts, nothing else.

Reaction score
Even if I go in through my settings and click on restart, the outcome is the same. Nothing updates. Goes right back to restart and no change to the buil;ds.

Reaction score
I am finding it really hard to believe that with all the Windows 10 Insider gurus on Windows 10 forums, no one besides one individual can offer any advice as how to get me back to the download on Settings.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have cleared out my software distribution downloads
Go back and do it again. Empty the entire contents of the software distribution folder.
In order to do this, you will need to stop both the Windows Update Services as well as the Cryptographic Service.
If you still have a Windows.old folder get rid of that as well.
You can do that relatively quickly by using an admin command prompt and typing
cleanmgr /sageset:1
hit enter and check every box
then type
cleanmgr /sagerun:1
hit enter and let it run

Afterwards go back and try the upgrade again.
You should be offered 17774 which is newer than 17771

The reason your post is not receiving more attention is that there are only a few of the members of this forum who actively participate in the insider program.

I myself have only ever experienced the problem you are describing on one previous occasion and that was many months ago on a previous build. I don't even remember which one or how I finally resolved it.
Probably started over with a clean install from an insider ISO
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sof...StwNw-74SihbvLfPoS3k74vDzeMw$$$&wa=wsignin1.0

Last edited:
Reaction score
Trouble, thanks so much for the resolution to my problem. Solved it right away. No I am going to calm my poor nerves before tackling the new update.

Ask a Question