SOLVED 1809 Update Corrupting Microsoft Outlook

Reaction score
Twice I have allowed my computer to update to the 1809 Windows 10 update. Each time when the system boots up, 1. the desktop background picture is gone, the screen has a black background and more importantly, 2. when I try to start Microsoft Outlook, the program goes almost immediately into a blue screen which says my entire computer has to restart. 1. is easy to fix. But 2. I can't get anything to work. Same problem happens when you start Outlook in safe mode. I have only two active add-ons, one for iCloud and another for McAfee. I tried rolling back the update to 1803, but the corruption to Outlook remained. I tried a quick repair to Outlook, but that didn't help. I finally installed a full backup image and everything is fine. The second time I tried the update, the exact same problems happened. I now have the computer set to indicate I'm on a metered connection in order to prevent Windows from downloading 1809. But sometime, I'm going to want to update the computer again. I can't get any information from Microsoft Support as to whether they are aware of this problem or if (or when) it has been fixed. Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks!

Reaction score
Welcome back to the forums!
I am guessing thatnyou graphics card is too old, or incompatible, with Windows 10. You could, however,try rolling back the driver, or looking for a third party driver on the web

Reaction score
I didn't even consider the graphics card. So you think that could corrupt Windows Outlook 2013? I have an Intel HD Graphics 4600. It had a driver dated 9/29/2016 installed. I upgraded and now it has 20-19-15-4624 dated 3/8/2017. Windows is telling me that's the latest and best driver. Is there a list anywhere to see if the graphics card itself is too old or incompatible with 1809? As I said it works fine with 1803 and all previous versions of Windows 10. By the way, I have the Home version so I have fewer options to control updating. Thanks for your suggestion. I'm going to let this thread run for awhile to see if anyone else has had this problem.

Reaction score
Intel HD 4600 shouldn't have any issues with Windows 10 since it came on Haswell CPU's. My guess is it's not that. Sounds like something corrupt in your current install that's not showing it's head until you do the upgrade. Unfortunately the answer may be to backup your files and do a clean install of 1809.

Reaction score
Thar driver looks ok. But it seems there are some problems. As you suggest, wait for some more ideas. Have a read here, though

Last edited:
Reaction score
Intel HD 4600 shouldn't have any issues with Windows 10 since it came on Haswell CPU's. My guess is it's not that. Sounds like something corrupt in your current install that's not showing it's head until you do the upgrade. Unfortunately the answer may be to backup your files and do a clean install of 1809.
The first time I reimaged the computer, it went back to to a pre-1803 build. It quickly updated to 1803 after I completed the reimaging. So there have been two versions of 1803 that 1809 didn't install properly on. I really hate the idea of doing a clean install. I will lose some programs.

Reaction score
Thar driver looks ok. But it seems there are some problems. As you suggest, wait for some more ideas. Have a read here, though
Thanks for the forum posts. I notice all of it is 5 years old. My computer has never indicated there was any incompatibility with the Intel HD Graphics 4600. I just went ahead and updated all the drivers on my computer. Do you think that might help? I didn't realize outdated drivers could create a problem like this with a Windows Upgrade.

Reaction score
Don't attach too much importance to my suggestion regarding your graphics card/chip. I was focussing on you first problems with the Black screen and background. In the light of the chat in that link, and other similar on the web, it could well be though.
As you know, Outlook is a part of the office package. You could try the repai facility for it?
just in case:
settings - Apps and features. Scroll down to Microsoft Offic e, in the list on the right, right click it and select "Modify". It will then offer you the option to repair.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've tried Office repair and it didn't fix what was corrupted. I think you might be on the right track about drivers. I found 11 out of date drivers and I updated them all. I made a new image. So...I'm ready to try again. Wish me luck.

Reaction score
The problem seems to be resolved now after two long sessions with Microsoft support. We did some repairs to Outlook again, but I think we determined the problem was cause by Malwarebytes, which I had liked until now! So far so good. I almost hate to post this since so many things didn't work.

Reaction score
No worries. Feedback on final solutions is always welcome. Generally, though, it would be interesting to know what MS found wrong with Malwarebytes.

Reaction score
They didn't find any specific reason. It was just hous of experimenting in two long tech sessions, but we finally were convinced Outlook was ok and we turned to the anti-virus programs I had. It finally started to work when I disabled Malwarebytes. I've since removed it. Too bad, I liked the program.

Reaction score
I have the standalone, free, malwarebytes. I only use it when doing a monthly "clean.up". I haven't (YET) experienced any problems with Outlook. I'll be waiting for the other shoe to drop!!

Reaction score
I was using the paid version which runs "real time" protection 24/7 - that seemed to be the problem. When I disabled the protection the problem ended.

Ask a Question