What's going on with the 1809 update?

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Updates' started by Nikilet, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Nikilet

Nikilet

This new update never has downloaded and installed on either my desktop or my laptop. Is this update solid now or are they still having trouble with it? I see that I've still got build 1803. There are automatic updates coming through and installing, but they are all for 1803.

Nikilet, Jan 9, 2019
    1. Advertisements

2. Nikilet

Defender01

I have only had my laptop download the 1809 in the normal way.
    I downloaded it to a desktop manually.
    But think I will now wait till the April update.

Defender01, Jan 9, 2019
    1. Advertisements

3. Nikilet

Tim Locke

On my wife's machine which was running 1803. we had been waiting for 1809 to arrive automatically so yesterday morning I did a complete Macrium backup for safety.

Early evening I went to Windows update and there was:
    An 1803 cumulative update, a Defender update, an Adobe update and the 1809 update.

So I started the process. All the updates went through a download, pending installation and then pending restart. The 1809 downloaded last and took some time to install. OK so far.

When requested I hit the restart prompt. OK so far.

Then the PC alternated the blue screen 'installing your update xx% ' and a restart 4 times before it got to the long update of 1809. Which it did just fine.

I have never seen this behavior before. I presume that the OS had lined up the updates to do the various 1803 stuff first and then the 1809 afterwards? Does this seem likely?

Tim Locke, Jan 9, 2019
  4. Nikilet

Nikilet

It sounds reasonable to me. I just can't figure out why I have never received the auto update for build 1809. Because of the trouble surrounding this update, I'm kinda' scared to just download and install manually.

Nikilet, Jan 9, 2019
  5. Nikilet

Trouble Noob Whisperer Moderator

I certainly wouldn't ever attempt it unless I had a complete disk image so that I could boot from the backup rescue media and recover my system to its' former state.

Microsoft calls it a staged rollout which suggests that it would be normal for various systems and devices to receive it on a protracted schedule.
    There are also some "Blocks" that Microsoft has put in place for systems with some hardware configurations which may also include some software as well.

Trouble, Jan 10, 2019
  6. Nikilet

Tim Locke

I presume that if I had not clicked on Windows update on the wifes PC last night it would just have installed the fixes for 1803.

But I was expecting 1809 to be available on Tuesday , hence the out of schedule backup.

Anyway it install and worked perfectly except that I had to reload the Window 7 solitaire games note that the scores are preserved over the version upgrade)

Tim Locke, Jan 10, 2019
  7. Nikilet

Grizzly

I got the 1809 yesterday via Windows update. It installed very smooth and was done after about 2 hours but (there is always a 'but') after waking up from sleep mode all I see is the cursor but no screen at all. Only if I put it to sleep or shut it down I get a glimpse of what is on the screen. I can't even get to the welcome screen, just have a black screen with the cursor on it.
    Fortunately I was able to restore my 1803 version (image) and now I am up and running again. I think I will skip the 1809 on my main pc (my test system works fine with it). Go figure....

Grizzly, Jan 18, 2019 at 12:57 PM
  8. Nikilet

Nikilet

Thanks for this
    Thanks for this info, but how do I stop this from installing on mine if it comes through? It was my understanding you can't stop these updates like you used to be able to.

Nikilet, Jan 18, 2019 at 11:03 PM
  9. Nikilet

Tim Locke

@ Nikilet Over the last couple of months I believe it has been on Windows update BUT only if you manually went to update. If, on Patch Tuesdays you did nothing you would only get the 1803 updates.
    Supposedly from Feb or March Patch Tuesday it will be automatic.

@ Grizzly Maybe a check on whether your display card drivers are uptodate?

I don't use EVER sleep mode and after a version update I always do a restart immediately to make sure it is all ok.

Tim Locke, Jan 18, 2019 at 11:36 PM
  10. Nikilet

Grizzly

@Nikilet : A feature update can be deferred in the "advanced Options" of the Windows Update (Pro Version, dunno about Home version).

2019-01-18_204503.jpg

@Tim Locke : drivers are up-to-date, there will be no newer drivers, ever (the machine is over twelve years old).
    I am gonna do an install on a different drive just to see if it works, otherwise I am gonna keep the 1803 as the last one....

Grizzly, Jan 19, 2019 at 1:51 AM
  11. Nikilet

Tim Locke

I don't think that Home has that deferred option...I have never seen it.

Tim Locke, Jan 19, 2019 at 10:34 AM
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question