Windows 10 1809 update

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
wow! I haven't been on my PC for almost a week now....work, work, and more work. Gotta pick up those extra shifts when I can...winter time hours have kicked in. Hours have been cut for everyone in the kitchen.

That said...I get on today and check my updates and behold...feature update 1809 is ready to install. Wow! It wiped out all my other OS updates, driver updates and so on. So was this like a new OS release?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So was this like a new OS release?
Sorta-Kinda.
I think of them as upgrades myself but it's still "Windows 10" just another "Version" Number so...
It depends on how far you tilt your head and how hard you squint your eyes.
It's the 5th "Redstone" release.

Reaction score
I wish my HP Spectre would update. I want 1809 so I can see my phone messages.

[And, yes, I check manually every day]

Alan

Reaction score
....I get on today and check my updates and behold...feature update 1809 is ready to install. Wow! It wiped out all my other OS updates, driver updates and so on. So was this like a new OS release?
You've been around here long enough to know that. 1809 is a new OS compared to 1803.

Reaction score
1809 stands for released 9/2018. 1803 was released March of 2018. The only problem with 1809 is it had some glitches in the software and Microsoft pulled it from releasing to every machine. They have fixed the bugs and rereleased this version in the windows update. Some machines get the release others have to wait. One reason some are still waiting has to do with an intel item. Not sure on the specifics. Anyway I have one with the original 1809. Another with the 1809 that I downloaded about 1 month ago. Another still is on 1803.

Reaction score
The only problem with 1809 is it had some glitches in the software and Microsoft pulled it from releasing to every machine. They have fixed the bugs and rereleased this version in the windows update.
I re-downloaded the 1809 build from Media Builder around Christmas. I then installed for the first time. I have experienced numerous glitches with just about everything I have installed. Most of the glitches were software updates seemingly not related to the build.

However Build 1809 fresh install breaks my Realtek drivers and it will not setup the Realtek Sound Manager. I had to go find a fix online. Ironically it was Microsoft's fix that they haven't bothered putting in 1809, before they decided to release to release to public.

Reaction score
"They have fixed the bugs and rereleased this version in the windows update."

Perhaps they have. But not without bricking my laptop.
The update from 1803 to 1809 just wouldn't work on my laptop (Intel I5, with 8GB RAM,
and plenty of free disk space to accommodate the update).
Whenever the update failed (usually due to a "memory management" error), it reverted back
to the original version (1803). So it just wasted my time. I even had Microsoft support
remote login, to see if they could fix the issue. No luck. I ran the memory checker - it passed fine.
The real killer was that it INSISTED on attempting this update every so often, and I couldn't
switch this off - I could only delay it for a few days. Cheeky, and not very nice!

However, at the last attempt, it failed to revert properly, leaving me with a dead laptop and
a major headache. Now, where should I send the the bill for this mess?

So, I'm now writing this from Ubuntu Linux, running on the same laptop, with no "memory
management" issues.

Bigfoot

Reaction score
"They have fixed the bugs and rereleased this version in the windows update."

Perhaps they have. But not without bricking my laptop.
The update from 1803 to 1809 just wouldn't work on my laptop (Intel I5, with 8GB RAM,
and plenty of free disk space to accommodate the update).
Whenever the update failed (usually due to a "memory management" error), it reverted back
to the original version (1803). So it just wasted my time. I even had Microsoft support
remote login, to see if they could fix the issue. No luck. I ran the memory checker - it passed fine.
The real killer was that it INSISTED on attempting this update every so often, and I couldn't
switch this off - I could only delay it for a few days. Cheeky, and not very nice!

However, at the last attempt, it failed to revert properly, leaving me with a dead laptop and
a major headache. Now, where should I send the the bill for this mess?

So, I'm now writing this from Ubuntu Linux, running on the same laptop, with no "memory
management" issues.

Bigfoot

I don't know what laptop you have and/or problems with updating to v1809 but using windows update on older laptops is always a problem as looping of the updates is very common. I had the same problems initially with v1809 in Sep 2018 on my laptop, which is an Acer Aspire 5750-2414 which is 9 years old (yes I have upgraded it and even changed the mobo to a 5750G with the NVIDIA graphics with an SSD, i7-2720QM CPU and 8GB RAM) but I haven't had any of the problems that people complain about and with BSOD blue screens since I installed Win-10 Pro and v1809. As I've said, I did have your problem initially on the Sep 2018 and I couldn't download the 1st and initial v1809 update but, all the Cumulative Update i haven't had any problems since.

What I did (and you could try to do the same next time if you get the same loops of update) is to go to: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and download the "Windows10Upgrade9252.exe" and update v1809 with the MS upgrader, it worked for me and it was allot easier than doing the upgrade through "windows update" as it was loping and going around in circles like with yours.

But for now (as your system dosen't boot) your only option is to do a "Advanced Startup Options" by holding down "F11" as soon as the computer powers on, so you can get to the Advanced Startup Options menu. if that dosen't work then, boot from your USB or DVD Win-10 installation media and wait until it goes through the setup process and on the "Bottom Left Corner" of the screen, chose "Repair your computer" (see my attachment) then "Chose an Option" . "troubleshoot" > "Advance Options" and you can either chose to do a "System Restore" or do a "Startup Repair" or if you have a backup image of your system, use that option, hope this helps.

Attachments

• 1. repair your computer.JPG
    1. repair your computer.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 341
  • 2. choose an option.JPG
    2. choose an option.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 334
  • 3. advanced options.JPG
    3. advanced options.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 314
  • 4. advanced options.jpg
    4. advanced options.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:
Reaction score
Ditto as Steven says. I "manage" one or two laptops for friends and family. They are mostly Dells. Since Windows 10 first came on the scene, I have had no serious problems with any updates. My own Computers are both older machines. I got the 1809 upgrade in the first, aborted release, and it did not give any problems.
I admit, though, that maybe the machines I "supervise " may have had just the right combinations of hardware- Optimistically, as I am the only one who "fiddles" with them, perhaps I got it right?
Sorry Cliff - not to rub salt into your wounds - My Realtek components are running fine, without any interference from me.

Realistically, apart from posts #7 and #9, the read is already just a little long in the tooth.

Reaction score
Sorry Cliff - not to rub salt into your wounds - My Realtek components are running fine, without any interference from me.
I haven't reinstalled since then. I had sound. It was the Sound Manager I was having issues with. Perhaps I was a little confusing in my description, as I included the managing software as part of the driver.

All I can say is I wasn't alone. I downloaded someone else's fix. A fix that they extracted from a preview build. So it could have easily been put in the public release build.

Ask a Question