19541.1000 (rs_prelease) fail

Reaction score
I am now up to having my machine demand a reboot twice a day. Is there a cure? I'd like
  1. An actual cure to the DL so that it install's
  2. A way to stop the updates
The only hopeful note is that I just did a "msdt.exe /id WindowsUpdateDiagnostic" and for a change, it actually did make a claim to fixing two problems.

I can't do a destructive re-install as this is my only machine and further it is a developer machine with WSL and half a terabyte of software installed.

thanks
-hsm

Reaction score
99% fix for failure to update/upgrade - make a bat an run as admin
dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
rmdir /s /q c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

net stop cryptsvc

md %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.bak

xcopy %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.bak /s

net start cryptsvc

Yes, there is a way to stop all updates. but it has other ramifications also.

Reaction score
With luck, the reset post msdt.exe /id WindowsUpdateDiagnostic will work. If not, then I'll run my new (Thank you) batch file and try again. And if not again, we can return and discuss the issues relating to "full stop".

Reaction score
If you are using ADK or VAMT3.1 you can uninstall it and still maintain the data base..

Reaction score
The two approaches both failed. I would also mention that I've no idea about "using ADK or VAMT3.1"? I spend my days when not interrupted by blue demands to reboot, writing compilers in perl6…

Reaction score
Hmmm…reboot at 2 am and now again 12:35! Wonder if today is when the f'ing thing goes for three times?

So if anyone is out there, I need to know just what to do to stop the updates entirely. Yes, I'm aware of the security problem that should have a patch soon, but since the install will fail anyway, what's the point?

Ask a Question