SOLVED System Restore Error 0x81000203.

Reaction score
Hi, Went to do a system restore and found the above error displayed, stating that there was an "unexpected error in the property page", with the "protection settings" empty with the exception of the message "searching". I have a screenshot of the "property page, but don't know how to attach to thread !!!.
Hope someone could assist/resolve this problem.
Thank you and regards,
John P.

Reaction score
Hi Ian,
When I try to upload the screenshot (1.5 Mb), it throws up an error message stating it is too large !!!!!
Do you have a contact address I could e-mail to?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Ian,
Started the "Services" but with no success.
Converted screenshot from "png" to "jpg" and attached same.
Hope this makes sense to you, and hopefully you can resolve my problem?
Again, Thank you and regards,
John P.

Attachments

• rsz_1screenshot_2.jpg
    rsz_1screenshot_2.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 760

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi John, if starting both of those services doesn't work I'm not sure what else to try. Normally ensuring that both of them are running will allow you to access the system protection tab successfully.

You could try running SFC /scannow (tutorial here: https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/how-to-use-sfc-scannow.12/), but there's only a slim chance that this would help. It would certainly do no harm though.

It may also be worth temporarily disabling your AV software and see if it works.

Does any additional error information appear in Event Viewer around the time of the problem?

Reaction score
Hi Ian,
Ran SFC /scannow which said that it had repaired some corrupted files, but did not resolve my problem.......so it looks as though I may have to re-install OS.
Again, thank you for your assistance,
John P.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Good luck John :) - perhaps someone else here may have an idea, but I'm not sure what else this could be.

Reaction score
Hi Ian,
Resolved the problem by doing a "Windows 10 in-place upgrade", which allowed me to re-install the OS, whilst at the same time, allowing me to retain my existing files and programs.
Again, thank you for your assistance,
John P.
Attached screenshot of how the system protection view is now !!!

Attachments

• rsz_screenshot_1.jpg
    rsz_screenshot_1.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 699
Reaction score
I had the same problem a few minutes ago, and I found the solution for my system in Method 5 of this page:

That is, go to this registry entry

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71a27cdd-812a-11d0-bec7-08002be2092f}

and see if the “UpperFilters” entry contains “volsnap”.

For any re-install, I did a repair install in the past to retain all apps, settings, and data:

Ask a Question