System Restore Points: limited to 1 automatic?

Reaction score
For some reason, whenever I go to system restore to see the dates of the restore points, there's only 1 there. I can create a manual restore point, but if I check back after an update or some event that creates an automatic system restore point, that's the only one that's available. And I even set the size allocated to restore points to equal the maximum, so it's not because there's not enough room. Does anyone else have this problem or can offer any ideas?
Thanks,

Reaction score
Hi phrab,

did you tick the box?:

restore 2.jpg

Reaction score
Wow. That box doesn't exist on my system restore.
system_restore01.png

I'm not sure how I can update my system restore dialog box???

Reaction score
I went through the Control panel and the settings. No option box like yours. I can assure you I have the latest Win 10 version. I normally have the feature turned off, as I make better use of images. I turned the feature back on for this thread.
I see you are using the "Home" edition. I doubt it, but maybe that is causing the difference?,
,Googling does not come up with a positive answer. My own opinion is that you only see this option if you have manually created restore points, rather than letting the restore work automatically??

Could also occur, perhaps, if you have restore working on more than one drive?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

I just had a thought that may have something to do with it, what size is it set to, I manually set mine to almost 40GB, if there isn't a large amount of space allocated, maybe it will only do it to a maximum???. o_O

upload_2018-5-16_7-0-13.png

And yes!, I am using Home and I do set restore points manually!. ;)

Reaction score
Strange indeed?, what version of W10 do you have?:

https://www.windows10forums.com/thr...ws-10-to-the-latest-version.13015/#post-81992 :)

This is what I get when I open it via Control Panel > Recovery > Open System Restore: ;)

View attachment 8592
I have Windows 10 Pro, 64bit. The size is set to 409GB. When I go to System Information, it says version 10.16299, Build 16299. Strange because I keep a log & it shows I updated to version 1709 on 12/9/17. I did a restore recently, but it was from April. I just realized that the above is version 1709. Anyhow, I don't have that checkbox.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have Windows 10 Pro, 64bit. I don't have that checkbox.
You may not have the checkbox if there are no other restore points available. A Build upgrade will remove all the prior ones.

I currently have two, Automatic Restore Point from the May 8th CU and one from the initial Build upgrade on 4/30.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I was thinking along similar lines.
IF you do not have any older restore points other than what is displayed by default (generally a couple or so), then.....
There would be no reason for the presence of the additional tick box to "show more"

Reaction score
Hi phrab,

upgrade to 18.03 then get back to everyone with the results!. :)
I delayed the upgrade for 30 days. Nevertheless, my System Restore dialog box now has the checkbox. It happened right after the following update:
Clipboard01.png
Clipboard02.png

Now all I have to do is modify the registry so that it creates a new restore point every day. Have to look that one up. Thank you for all your help! I really appreciate your time & knowledge!

Reaction score
On my main computer I have an icon on my Taskbar that I click to create a new Restore Point when desired. By default it is set for once every 1440 minutes, should be changeable.

Reaction score
On my main computer I have an icon on my Taskbar that I click to create a new Restore Point when desired. By default it is set for once every 1440 minutes, should be changeable.
I can create a shortcut that opens the dialog box, but then I thought that I had to manually select the correct drive (as it also shows an external drive, even though protection is off for that drive). Also, how do you get it to create a restore point at a set interval automatically?

Ask a Question