System restore points disappearing

Reaction score
I have created system restore points but after 24 hours they disappear and I have to create another one.
I have configured the disc space to 40% and enabled system protection but they still disappear.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Yorkshire Lass,

Is Windows 10 the only OS you are running on your computer, or are you dual booting an earlier Windows OS as well?

Reaction score
No , I'm also dual booting with Windows Vista although next week I am getting a new computer and will no longer dual boot., will just have 10 on a solid state disc.

Regedit32

Reaction score
No , I'm also dual booting with Windows Vista although next week I am getting a new computer and will no longer dual boot., will just have 10 on a solid state disc.

Ahh OK,

The issue you are having is fairly common when users are dual booting because the earlier OS when started will automatically delete restore points of the newer OS, or over write them.

When you start using a single OS this issue will resolve itself.

What versions of Windows 10 and Vista are you using? Home, Ultimate, Professional, Enterprise?

I ask this because in the past if you were dual booting Windows XP on C-drive, and Vista Ultimate or Vista Professional on the D-drive, to prevent the loss of Vista restore points all you had to do was enable Bitlocker on the Vista partition making it inaccessible to Windows XP.

As an alternate method when dual booting Windows XP and Vista you could:
  • Boot into the older OS (in this scenario Windows XP)
  • Open the Registry editor and navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\MountedDevices\Offline
  • Right-click on Offline then add DWORD named \DosDevices\D: and give its Default a data Value of 1

I've not tried this in the Windows 10 environment so I won't recommend doing this in this instance.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thank you for all this information. As I'm hoping to dispense with Vista Home premium this week sometime.I shan't bother trying to change the settings. I'm just busy backing up Windows10 Home 64 bit to an external hard drive , just in case anything goes wrong with the new computer. Many thanks once again.

Ask a Question