win 10 system restore points not being created must do manual

Reaction score
I went to window community and posted this HELP msg and this was their response.
I am hoping someone here may be able to help me with this most frustrating issue.
i have spent literally 100s of hours on the internet and literally weeks searching into this and finding that other people are having the same issue posted at different sites but no solution.

Thanks for your time.

windows 10 system restore points not being created must do manual

Hello and Thank u for your attn:

Running win10

for the longest time my computer has not created an automatic restore point during installs. I have tried task sched to create system restore points and get no errors but no restore points are being created even tho history says task successful there is nothing in restore to show it created.

I updated win10 the other day to the most current hoping for a fix and i had a major problem after install all i got was blue screen after restart. Long story short, i finally got my computer back up and running, and it deleted EVERYTHING, all previous restore points and everything. But whatever i was horrified. I again enable system restore and again the same issues

no restore points created during new installs

no restore points created during scheduled tasks

Thankfully i CAN create manual restore but that is not the issue.

I moved the slider to max so restore has has much room as it needs

and dont give me the 7 days story for restore to create, cuz thats bs. regardless it should create as scheduled as it used to and it should create regardless during new installs and it simply does not. I know i am NOT the only one having this issue. In times past I can remember when windows would auto create restore points upon every install, and as scheduled regardless. I have no errors to report so i am at a loss

my hope of my update to most current win10 of August 17, 2016 would fix the issue as it was as if completely re-installing win10. It said prior to download that it was re-versable, which i found not to be true. It overwrote everything as if a new install, which i hoped would fix any issues. I was horrified that after the second restart all i saw was a blue screen for hours, and after i went on my phone to look here for help i found some solutions that finally got me back into my computer and all is running well, EXCEPT THE SYSTEM RESTORE , which was my cheif concern and problem. AND STILL IS.

thank you very much

ps

just fyi....i enabled system restore a long time ago, so thats not an issue

thank u

ps..thank u for the tips to get me back into my computer so i could get this far.

2 people had this question

Sachin Venkatesh replied on
Hello,

I understand the inconvenience you are facing in Windows. We will help you.

Let's try the below methods and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1: Perform a clean boot and check if the issue persists.

to disable all non-Microsoft services consult the article called Clean Boot.
Follow: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note: A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows. You may also troubleshoot or determine what conflict is causing the problem by performing a clean boot.

Disclaimer: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting"

Method 2: I also suggest you to perform a SFC scan (System file checker) scan.

How to use the System File Checker tool: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Keep us posted to help you better.

Thank you
Sachin.V
Microsoft Community

tnyshu replied

Hello and thank u for your response.

I did try all of your suggestions and i am at a total loss

system file checker shows: no errors

clean boot,

able to uninstall and install but no system restore point was created.

I have MINIMUAL things to startup anyway. but there are no conflicts whatsoever with the few that run.

Task scheduler history still tells me daily that a restore point was created successfully, yet it is not shown anywhere in the system restore dept. it only show my manually created points,

so it does not function as it did once upon a time.

and yet i have no direct errors telling me its malfunctioning or limted in someway

i will say this though as in my case

during the clean boot phase

simply typing in

msconfig

did nothing.

thankfully i saved the run command in the startup menu and did that

THEN AND ONLY THEN

did msconfig come up

So at this point everything is just as it was in my first post

Thank you

Reaction score
Are you dual booting?
System Restore is dependent on remote the remote call procedure (RPC)
Go to services and make sure RPC is turned on and set to automatic.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi and thank you
No im not dual booting

But i checked RPC services n it says automatic

I did go to task schduler sys rest and checked run with highest priveldges. It was unchecked

So i dont know
But thank u
Any other ideas appreciated

Last edited:
Reaction score
What type of programs/services do you use?

Many programs/services update on a frequent basis, and depending on the type of program/service it's highly likely that the service is resetting/disrupting your WSR service.

IF you're very dead set on WSR, check the programs you run and their updates. Try even booting into Safe Mode to see if it will work with next to no processes.

The other alternative is to simply replace WSR with an alternative program like Comodo Time Machine or Rollback Rx.

Reaction score
hello and thank u for your response.
i would like to first address other programs for system restore.
Im hesitant to do that tho desperate as i am
because a few years ago i bought one of those programs
so what it did was reserved a huge portion of my hard drive for restores
which was fine
UNTIL
eventually i uninstalled the program and i never got that space back again
it was a huge chunk of my hard drive that i was no longer able to access or use or regain
so i eventually had to start from scratch and repartion my hard drive.
Then and i had my hard drive back.
and install everything from ground zero

well im using a laptop now.
everything is different than pc. PC i could do all that if necessary
Laptops are a different breed altogether.

so im extra cautious of what i install and no excess cuz in the event of failure
i can only do so much. whereas, a pc i had a bit more control

best that can happen in laptop senero is you get to go back to factory installation n setting
if your lucky.

when windows works properly you can undo some things and do some tweaks but if the system fails....
you only have so many options.
but you get my drift.

as for services and programs
most all programs are factory
i have hp laptop.
i have antivirus and dvd burner
thats pretty much it.

I understand your notes about update setting may infer with system restore process but i dont see any errors.

is there somewhere else i should go to look,
like in event viewer is there a special place to look for a conflict or error that may narrow down what is happening.

i really would like to resolve this issue with the system restore
if possible

i hate to give up and have to buy another backup program
and God Forbid i ever have to uninstall it and it to keep a huge chunk of my laptop harddrive that i can no longer access and factory settings are unable to fix that.

i checked event view on windows/system restore and no errors or warnings
history shows started, created, success, but its nowhere to be found when you open system restore
only the few manual i created

thank u for your time.

ps i will try your suggestions about the few programs i do have, and services and see what i can come up with.

Reaction score
tnyshu There have been many problems with Win 10 Restore. I experienced first hand failure to restore with 1511 version. Personally, I prefer to perform my own manual restore points, I can see first hand the information "Restore successful" there are no notifications with windows automatic restore points. Your best defense for your current problem, or PC problems is creating regular system images and backup's.
Yes! I know it's a solution and not resolution to your problem. Restoring an image is far better, easier and quicker than OEM factory reset.

Reaction score
Hello Norton,
thank you for your response and validating that win10 sys. restore just is not up to par.

sidenote (win10 constantly daily migraine) lmao

anyway, your right about creating manual backups.

but to be honest, i know very little about how to create a system image and backups or how to use it for recovery.
It seems a bit tricky from what ive seen online
there are a few things that confuse me
theres, system image that contains files for boot up but not the operating system
then,
one you create with the operating system
and one that creates backups but dont include necessary files you may need or wanted

how cool if i can create an image that is all in one,
and actually use it to restore my system if in need .....with no horrors
failures or errors

that contains everything needed, whether boot and or operating system with all preferences save

restoring from a system image is far easier you said.

if done right....sounds like a great solution,
now i just have to figure out how.

Thank u for your advice.

Reaction score
There are lots of Free programs out there for creating Images Aomei, Macrium Reflect to name a few.
Aomei is very good imaging/backup program, also user friendly. For safe keeping. system images are best created and kept on an external USB HD. An image is a mirror copy of your HD.

Reaction score
Wow thanks so much
For the program suugestion

However
Visted websites
And freeware ver seems limted
And seems to have a couple of different programs

I need something very simple all in one kinda thing

When we get into incremental backups etc it confuses me

I need user friendly
Few mouseclicks
To
Create entire everything as it is
To include special boot options if necessary
All in one

And easy startup recovery options should i need to put the computer exactly as it once was

Plus spamware malware free n thats hard to find in freeware

Thanks for your input

Last edited:
Reaction score
If your running Windows 10, Windows Defender Antivirus program is installed by default.
Below are links to free malware detection and junk removal tools

http://www.backup-utility.com/free-backup-software.html AomeiBackupper
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Check carefully before you install that they are not downloading any unnecessary 3rd party programs, uncheck any 3rd party programs.
Aomei Backupper is a free sytem imaging and backup program with its own tutorial on imaging, incremental and differential backups. Malwarebytes is an excellent program for detecting blocking and removing malware. CCleaner is excellent for removing unwanted crap cookies and temp files.

Reaction score
Hi and thank so very much for all your suggestions and advice.

im def going to go the alternative route at this point
thanks so much for the link and tutorial on imaging.
and the tip of 3rd party

oh one point tho...i did notice that ccleaner does sometimes delete restore points
and windows 10 techs have addressed that issue as a cause of concern
because people having the same problem with restore and techs claimed that was the problem

not sure why exactly.
but i do love the program for registry issues and things like that
its a great program

but its been a while since i used it.
thanks again! :)

Reaction score
I have never used the registry cleaner with CCleaner. I just use the default program settings, you can't go wrong. I've been using CCleaner for years,. no problems. It's a highly recommended cleaning tool. I have never known it to delete restore points, Restore is not even in the delete index.
MS are most likely ticked off because it has control over MS Edge and old windows files. Also any easy excuse for the Restore problems they can't resolve.
What exactly did MS say "Delete ccleaner and don't bother me, ticket closed" LOL

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just saying! I have never experienced problems with CCleaner. I run the 64 bit version. It's a highly recommended program for cleaning crap and is compatible with Windows 10.

Reaction score
I have used the ccleaner for years and not had issues

Its a great program i agree

Ask a Question