Windows System Image Restore To New SSHD Fails

Reaction score
Windows 10 x64 Pro system 1 TB HDD failed. Replaced with Seagate 2 TB SSHD drive. System Image Restore failed at the end with error - The Parameter is Incorrect error code 0x80070057. Tried rerunning restore and now I get error - Element not found 0x80070015. Is there something special I need to do to the drive before restoring the system image?

Reaction score
Did you do anything to the SD?HD prior to booting to the recovery/install media? What are you booting to?

I have never used one of those drives, but they are self contained, right? You don't see the 8 GB SSD as a separate drive?

How far into the recovery process was it before you got the error, sounds like near the end..?

I suppose no info on the Seagate site about such a problem?

Reaction score
Thx for the reply. Yes the recovery was at the end when it failed. Seagate site of no value with this. When I run diskpart and list volumes the new disk shows 4 partitions all raw. One of the partitions is sized as the original Windows system so it appears recovery did that, One of the other volumes looks like the entire 2TB partition. Two other partitions are small and raw. I have tried doing a PC reset but I get the message the disk is locked. Tried format but it hangs at 0 percent for over 8 hours. Looks like maybe the drive is bad.

Reaction score
I think I would do a clean install on the drive, just to test..

Dos the drive take any special Bios settings, such as SATA being set to RAID?

Have you used your image before?

Reaction score
Turns out the SSHD was bad. Not supposed to be any special BIOS, in my case UEFI, settings to use the SSHD. I am going to do a clean install of Windows. I have my backup files available for anything I will need to bring back, e.g. my outlook files. First time I have had to try and recover my system and I have to say Windows Backup and Recovery won't be used again since it fails miserably, or at least it has for me. Probably looking at Macrium since from what I have been reading from other users it seems to do a good job. I realize MS wanted Backup and Recovery to die with Windows 7 but if they decided to continue to support it they should have at least made a concerted effort to make it user friendly and reliable. Far to complex and unreliable for such a critical component.
Thx for the replies.

Ask a Question