Can System Restore (Windows 10) Recover Passwords?

Reaction score
Yesterday (Apr 3), a customer rep from my bank was helping me fix a password problem, and in the process, unfortunately, we deleted all my passwords, including those on both my hotmail account & my gmail account. I am locked out of both emails. And I can't remember the passwords, which were established 20 & 5 years ago to be automatic, just click on "Log-in". The rep & I tried everything we could think of to recover them, but no luck. Hotmail wanted to send a code to gmail, which I couldn't access, & gmail wanted to send a code to hotmail.

After sleeping on it, today I tried System Restore, to go back to before the unintended delete (April 1). I followed the directions, and indeed most everything on the system went back to April 1, except the passwords were not restored, so I'm still locked out of Hotmail & Gmail.

Can anyone help? I am running Windows 10.

Reaction score
Hi Rumpole,

go to the respective sites and type in your eMail name and then click on the "I have forgotten my password" button, it will give you the chance to reset the passwords!. :)

Make sure you write them down and keep the new passwords safe!. ;)

Reaction score
Do you have a phone which can access the accounts which might still have the password stored?

Wolfie's suggestion will probably work.

Ask a Question