System restore points dissappearing on their own

Reaction score
250 Samsung SSD with 232 GB avail.
Just installed 10 (clean install from what was 7 Home).
This is bugging me.
Manual restore points seem to disappear after around 2-3 hours of being created.
ran antivirus, malewarebytes & superantispyware.
Plus error checking & chkdk /FC
Yes volume shadow on auto.
Lastly moved in System Restore config from 5% to 9%.
Also tried a regedit creation (as it was missing): SystemRestorePointCreationFrequency - DWord at 0. But then that gets erased. With a new folder under System Restore- called error files.

The last suggestion I found on line was to go to RUN and type in C:\windows\inf\sr.inf - well thats missing .
If that is the culprit, I am stuck on how to fix that. I found suggestions for Windows 7 & Vista - but not 10.

Storage Sense is disabled.

I then uninstalled Malwarebytes & CCleaner, and also removed Aomie Backeruppe just in case that was the culprit. Then removed Webroot Secure Anywhere - now using Windows Defender. But restore points are still not saved.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
You say "Just installed 10 (clean install from what was 7 Home).
Windows will be downloading and installing updates, as such, Windows will remove old restore points as they don't reflect on the current OS version.
Why would you want to revert back to an old restore point. Give Windows time to update the the PC to the current version 1803.17134.137 then create a manual Restore Point.

Reaction score
My bad on using the word just. Its actually been 2 weeks.
I dont see that there are any more updates. As far as i know it started with 1803.
How or why are restore points disappearing after 3 or so hours?

Yes its version 1803.17134.137

My pc that had 8 and i upgraded (so that one not a clean install) has no issues with restore points.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is Restore actually turned ON? After a clean install or major OS update Windows turns System Restore OFF by default, that will delete all logged restore points. I think MS want users to use "Reset this PC" ?

Reaction score
YES it IS.

And in Services Volume shadow copy set to Automatic.

By any chance is my account info related to my problem? Is it possible that if the PC does not recognize my Microsoft email/account info - that the system erases the restore points after 3 or so hours? Attaching a screen shot.

Attachments

• Your info page.jpg
    Your info page.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 454
Last edited:
Reaction score
Any feed back on the system restore folder in Regedit ? Anything that need to be changed?

Attachments

• regedit screenshot.jpg
    regedit screenshot.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 417
Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
The first 2 items done - many moons ago- thats the turn on restore points and the registry edit.
For the third, I dont use a password on my desktop. So is there another way to do set up the schedule or tweak the system to trigger a restore point on boot up ?
Thx.

Reaction score
The first 2 items done - many moons ago- thats the turn on restore points and the registry edit.
For the third, I dont use a password on my desktop. So is there another way to do set up the schedule or tweak the system to trigger a restore point on boot up ?
Thx.
The above instructions 'Creating a system restore point during startup' 1 to 23 is very simple you don't have to have a password to accomplish this command, if you don't have a password then it wont ask you for it. I can't see your problem, the password is only required if you have a password assigned to your account, its all very simple and it will accomplish what you want!

Reaction score
Creating via task schedular the Creating a system restore point during startup does require entering the systems password. I kept hitting next but still it asks for a P/W. Hitting cancel just takes you back. I do have a password for my microsoft acct but not for the PC itself. I enter the M/S password but get a wrong password error msg.

Attachments

• password.jpg
    password.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 439
Reaction score
Ok, are you an 'Administrator'? As you need to be an administrator to be able to configure this command. Was the OP installed by anyone else, before you? Or, try using the 'login' password, when you log into the OP at startup, mine is a 4 digit password that I assigned e.g. 1234. Also, have a look at this link: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-manage-user-accounts-settings-windows-10 'How to manage user account settings on Windows 10' as it explains it better, I have never ever had this problem as I use my 'hotmail' as my password and it works always, its not a magic password that is just put there randomly by Microsoft or any one else lol.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, admin.
I do not use a password to log in.
Best buy did do the install (i was having major windows 7 issues and decided to have BB just do a clean install. I did buy the win10 thumbdrive myself. And no, was not using a password on 7 either). Best buy did not give me any password either.

Under Settings/Account/Your Info - "Local Account Administrator" is showing under my PC name.

Under Sign in Options, it says "Your account does not have a password..."

I dont use a PIN either.

Wonder if the two are connected (the two being that my restore points missing AND not able to add this task schedule) ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Initially, as you stated 'Just installed 10 (clean install from what was 7 Home) and the installation might still be related to your 7 Home and any previous password that BB had or used might apply. I would 'back up' all your needed files and then refresh the machine to reset it in the following way: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/clean-install-windows-10/ OR if that doesn't work, then put the windows 10 thumb drive in, reboot and completely format the SSD drive, through the installation process and do a complete fresh install of Windows 10.

These are the best 2 ways to overcome your problem(s) as it seems that your new windows 10 installation must relate to a previous 7 Home and by doing the above it will refresh and reset it completely. Hope it works, cheers.

Ask a Question