Why are there quite often no system restore points saved?

Reaction score
System Restore is turned off by default. Did you turn it ON?
In windows search type "create" in the menu click on Create a Restore Point > System Protection. It will show available drives, your HDD should be ON. If not left click on the HD to highlight it, click on configure, select "Turn on system protection" You should now be able to create a manual Restore point by clicking on create button.

Reaction score
Most likely the last update deleted all of your restore points as mine did. Windows will only create a new restore point when it does a major update to your system. You can create a manual restore point as explained above. I create a manual restore point every week, or if I make any system changes. MS want to get away from using the system restore and want users to reset (reinstall Win 10) the OS using the advanced Settings>Reset this PC.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I haven't heard that but if so the new from MS gets worse and worse. I would have to spend ages resetting Windows again. Might have to move to other software then.

Reaction score
I have never officially heard why MS turn off System Restore. It's a useful tool for restoring the system (not files) it's saved my a-- a couple of times. With the initial Windows 10 install MS turned off my Restore and all saved points were were deleted. Deletion of Win 7 Restore points I can understand, but hey MS, inform the users. The Anniversary and Creator updates did the exact same. Now I check the Restore is tuned "ON" frequently and most certainly after any MS update.
Some theories why MS disable "Restore" I believe there's some truth to the theories. Moms the word from MS on this important issue.

http://howdoicomputer.com/2015/07/w...indows-10-and-how-to-switch-it-back-on-again/

Reaction score
You have tried typing systempropertiesprotection.exe in a run box then selecting System Restore and checking the box to show more restore points?

Some updates may remove prior restore points. Usually the Build updates will and possibly others. Currently, I have four.

Reaction score
I hadn't heard of systempropertiesprotection,exe but it looks like the same place as going via the control panel, so no sometimes there are no restore points here. Norton when you say you make sure system restore is turned opn do you then get automatic restore points (other then on installing software)? I don't seem to.

Reaction score
Yes! By default Restore should create an automatic restore point around once a week. I create a manual one at least once per week. You still don't say if you have created a manual restore point. Please do it now for peace of mind.

Reaction score
Yes no problem with a manual restore point done that and another when I installed software but its never routinely done one weekly so I wondered if there was a way of solving why that's now happening. Unfortunately I won't be able to get on the PC again for a couple of weeks.

Reaction score
Rather than depend on automatic restore points, I prefer to create manual restore points after cleaning and checking for malware, should I have to restore, I know the point that I pick will be safe and virus free.

Reaction score
Makes no sense to me, especially when so many folks have relied on it for many years.

Reaction score
Makes no sense to me, especially when so many folks have relied on it for many years.
Exactly my thoughts, I assumed that it was working quietly in the background doing its thing, boy was I wrong!. o_O

Ask a Question