How often is Windows 10 updated

Reaction score
Hey guys I have am wondering how often does windows 10 get updated to the latest versions though windows update? I look forward to hearing from you guys thanks.

Reaction score
"Update Tuesday" 1st Tuesday of the month. Yesterday there was a 'cumulative update' which updated some internal stuff and also the Build number which is now 10586.122. There have been more frequent updates since W10's official release, the November one which changed the version from 10240 to 1511 was a big one, almost a complete new OS.

This summer sometime there will be a full rerelease we believe. Currently know as Redstone. The Insider releases are moving towards that.

Reaction score
The idea of Win10 as a "service" is that it will update (not upgrade) at random as and when needed totally in the background with no intervention. You don't need to know. Upgrades are likely to be twice a year with the next being Redstone in the summer as mentioned above.

Reaction score
Good point. November was an UPGRADE. Redstone will be an UPGRADE... Everything else is just updates.

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm not sure I'd you have had this issue but when u first installed windows I had to wipe it 6x before it worked, also why does windows 10 have all these unnecessary services?

Reaction score
Every one of those services is necessary for some configuration and use case of Windows.

I only had to wipe and reinstall W10 once and that was an Insider build way back last spring.

Reaction score
Some sources say that Redstone has been put back until spring 2017. Others say a major enhancement package for Windows 10 will be out in July on the anniversary of W10. The Insider releases are currently not showing any major enhancements for Redstone although they claim that some of the internal upgrades and reliability fixes are to be ready for Redstone later this spring.

So who knows>

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Most sources have been saying for a while now that "Redstone" will come in two waves.
Google "redstone two waves".
The first of which is scheduled for June (more likely July) and the second which was schedule for October has been pushed to 2017

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a question i have a regular 500GB HDD that I have had since early 2010 and it still works today, I am wondering should I upgrade to an ssd or just stick with my HDD I look forward to hearing from you guys thanks.

Reaction score
All the desktops I use have SSDs as their 'C' drive and the extra speed really shows up. I don't keep any data on the SSDs.

If you are going to clone a current drive onto an SSD you must use appropriate software to do so as SSDs are sensitive to data being aligned on block boundaries because the read and write processes on the actual drive do things in 128byte lumps or bigger. The software is now usually free or it comes with the drive.
SSDs have a specific failure mode if data is deleted from a given area a LOT of times...the delete ceases to work properly...but don't worry, it is a LOT of times, like several years worth of deletes and the drive technology is getting better all the time.

In Canada 256 GB drives are at the sweet spot for pricing and 480/500 GB drives are dropping in price now.

Reaction score
All the desktops I use have SSDs as their 'C' drive and the extra speed really shows up. I don't keep any data on the SSDs.

If you are going to clone a current drive onto an SSD you must use appropriate software to do so as SSDs are sensitive to data being aligned on block boundaries because the read and write processes on the actual drive do things in 128byte lumps or bigger. The software is now usually free or it comes with the drive.
SSDs have a specific failure mode if data is deleted from a given area a LOT of times...the delete ceases to work properly...but don't worry, it is a LOT of times, like several years worth of deletes and the drive technology is getting better all the time.

In Canada 256 GB drives are at the sweet spot for pricing and 480/500 GB drives are dropping in price now.
hey tim thanks for yur help also just curious what opearing systems are using using on your desktops, and you mentioned that you dont store any data on your ssd's where do you store that data? I look forward to your reply thanks.

Reaction score
Gabe, each of our 'production' machines have an SSD for C and a spinner for D. My machine runs W10 (1511) and my wife's PC still has W7 ( although we will update before 29th July) On each of these we have moved the directories that contain big data ( Downloads, Pictures, Music) onto D. Documents stay on C as does the email datastore ( we both use Thunderbird) For our use this gives the speed without needing an SSD bigger than 256 GB.

The two insider machines have very little data, the desktop has an SSD and the laptop has a spinner until I get around to replacing it...which will be very soon!

Reaction score
I just replaced the drive on my Lenovo with an SSD.

2 minutes downloading and installing the cloning software from Samsung. ( bought a Samsung 850 EVO 256 GB)
2 minutes plugging the new drive into my external sata to USB 3 device
16 minutes to clone the drive

10 minutes taking the case off, disconnecting the battery, dismounting the drive caddy, replacing the drive in the caddy and reconnecting

1 minute crossing my fingers starting up the machine,
10 minutes making sure everything worked and running a malwarebytes scan

5 minutes putting the case back on.

Reaction score
Gabe, each of our 'production' machines have an SSD for C and a spinner for D. My machine runs W10 (1511) and my wife's PC still has W7 ( although we will update before 29th July) On each of these we have moved the directories that contain big data ( Downloads, Pictures, Music) onto D. Documents stay on C as does the email datastore ( we both use Thunderbird) For our use this gives the speed without needing an SSD bigger than 256 GB.

The two insider machines have very little data, the desktop has an SSD and the laptop has a spinner until I get around to replacing it...which will be very soon!
Hey Tim I am considering getting the sad the only issue that is concerning me is what do I do with with hdd because it still works good. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
If you have a desktop then use it for data or as a backup drive. You can buy an enclosure for a few bucks so the drive can be plugged in USB to any PC. I have a couple of those and use them for extra storage for my cable Co's PVR and as a drive for my Raspberry Pi.

Reaction score
Hey Tim I have a question i am wondering do you use Windows 10, if so do you like, do you think i should I upgrade? And you also mentioned that you have a raspberry pi I am wondering what is a raspberry pi in terms of computers? I look forward to hearing from you soon thanks.
If you have a desktop then use it for data or as a backup drive. You can buy an enclosure for a few bucks so the drive can be plugged in USB to any PC. I have a couple of those and use them for extra storage for my cable Co's PVR and as a drive for my Raspberry Pi.

Ask a Question