SOLVED System Restore Error 0x80070091

Reaction score
Tried scanning and repairing disk yet that error appears. However restore says restoring files and takes time to do the needful initialisation but upon restart the same error message appears. Image attached. At a loss how to make it restore with correct message. Even tried disabling Norton but does not work.

Please help. However PC tends to work ok though not fast and smooth.

Attachments

• system restore.PNG
    system restore.PNG
    90.8 KB · Views: 1,045
Reaction score
Have you attempted to restore to another earlier restore point in time?

Reaction score
The error message is saying the directory mentioned in the error message, is not empty. Could there be something which the system cannot replace or move or delete?

ERROR_DIR_NOT_EMPTY
145 (0x91)

The directory is not empty.

Reaction score
Disable Norton AV
Open the command prompt, right click and run as Administrator
At the prompt type the command sfc/scannow.
The command will find and repair any damaged files.
Next: I would Run.
Disk Clean
CCleaner
Malwarebytes.
They will clean up anything that may be lurking on your system, then try anther restore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Ok Norton will try again and revert later. Disable meaning firewall and protection in Norton drop down menu, I believe. It says the period. Till restart or longer?

Reaction score
as long as Norton is still installed, Windows Defender should not be able to be turned on. If you uninstall Norton (all the way) you may be able to turn on Defender.
BUT : I have been wrong before....

Reaction score
In your above post you make reference to another repair utility. Don't download it unless you are running an antivirus program.
If you are referring to the the link I provided yesterday forget it, today, for some reason Malwarebytes after a recent update flags the site as malicious.
Hopefully one of the mods on here can delete the link if referred to. Update the link has since been deleted

Never download anything off the internet without an antivirus program running.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes was in the link you provided. Did click on it though and when it opened a package, got suspicious and canceled download. Good thing re-confirmed here. Now running Norton full scan just in case. Later would try out the sfc/scannow command prompt after disabling Norton. Will update then.

Reaction score
R.Chandrasegaran. I'm so glad you were cautious about the file and asked for direction. I was stunned when Malwarebytes flagged the url today. I hope you're running Malwarebytes.

Reaction score
No do not have Malwarebytes since have Norton 360 AV. Is it necessary to have Malwarebytes too? Noticed this restore malfunction happened after I added Norton Safe Search extension on Google Chrome. Later disabled it. Did it put a program to interrupt Windows files?

Reaction score
Some advice. I would uninstall Norton using "Programs and Features found in the control panel; and remove Norton Safe Search ext. from Google Chrome.

Turn "ON" Windows Defender AV, download and Install Malwarebytes
https://www.malwarebytes.com/
The paid Premium version is well worth the $29/year it gives you malicious website protection, real time protection, anti ransomware protection for up to 3 PCs.

Reaction score
Malwarebytes recommends a AV as well unless you are saying Windows Defender is robust enough for virus attacks. Malwarebytes only expert in malwares and not viruses.

Reaction score
What now? If bad sector corruption do I have to just reformat and reinstall? Also mine was a free upgrade from Windows 7. If I reformat does Windows 10 reinstall without problem? Now that the free upgrade period is over?

Ask a Question