System restore error

Reaction score
I had a 'scareware' attack. I shut down computer and ran Malware and Spyware scans. Both clean. But the buzzer and demand letter were still on Bing or Edge. So did a system restore.

System restore did not complete successfully
Source: APPxstaging
Destination %ProgramFiles%WindowsApps

The scareware went away and I've since learned a better way to deal with that if it happens again,
But wonder what the above means. I tried 2 different restore points and got the same message.

Do I need to do anything?
JanBD

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi JanBD,

did you note the error code number for this issue?

For example was it 0x80070091 or 0x800700005 or something else?

The two above are known to Microsoft who to my knowledge are still working on a permanent resolution however there are a couple of workarounds that may resolve your troubles.

If you can post the error number I'll post a detailed workaround for you that ought to help you should you need to use System Restore point at a later date.

In the meanwhile, the fact the error is triggered via the AppXStaging is a strong indicator that there was insufficient resources available for the unpacking of an existing Restore Point to overwrite the current System settings, and that would imply the need to manually delete one or more directories that are contained inside the SystemApps directory.

This is relatively easy to do, but will require the resetting of permissions as this directory is owned by the System, and its sub-directories are controlled by NT Authority\TrustedInstaller, both of which have higher privileges than an ordinary Administrator Account.

Reaction score
Hi JanBD,

did you note the error code number for this issue?

For example was it 0x80070091 or 0x800700005 or something else?

The two above are known to Microsoft who to my knowledge are still working on a permanent resolution however there are a couple of workarounds that may resolve your troubles.

If you can post the error number I'll post a detailed workaround for you that ought to help you should you need to use System Restore point at a later date.

In the meanwhile, the fact the error is triggered via the AppXStaging is a strong indicator that there was insufficient resources available for the unpacking of an existing Restore Point to overwrite the current System settings, and that would imply the need to manually delete one or more directories that are contained inside the SystemApps directory.

This is relatively easy to do, but will require the resetting of permissions as this directory is owned by the System, and its sub-directories are controlled by NT Authority\TrustedInstaller, both of which have higher privileges than an ordinary Administrator Account.

Reaction score
Hi! Thank you for responding.
I'm sorry I forgot to include the error. It was 0x80070091
Thank you,
JanBD

Ask a Question