SOLVED System Restore Error 0x80070091

Reaction score
Did a restore with new restore point but still same error message.
system restore 4.PNG

Reaction score
Did you install any apps? It still sounds like there is some type of corruption or a misbehaving app you might try uninstalling them. You old restore points seem to be worthless and will not be usable until the problem is fixed.

Try running, in an administrative command prompt, the command below.

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

If you want to know what file/s might be bad on your system run the command below and check the listing near the bottom for references to "unable to repair". Copy and paste should work and when it finishes you should have the text file on your desktop..

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

Reaction score
It appears you have corrupt files and most likely the registry.
In answer to your question "Yes" you can reinstall Windows 10 anytime, your PC is already registered with MS. Save your Docs and Photo's to a disk or external drive.
You can't beat a clean install and a clean registry. It will be the end of your long standing problems. Don't forget to enable System Restore as it's disabled by default. And install Malwarebytes. Windows Defender will be installed by default. The AV program is your choice, whatever you feel comfortable with.

Reaction score
Thanks Saltgrass and Norton for your assistance. Much appreciated. Will give Saltgrass dism a try first be fore doing a clean reinstall. Not in a rush now though as windows is still working quite well. Just that restore is not.

Reaction score
If your PC is running well, I would leave it as is, and wait to see what the next update brings. Windows turns restore off by default, to keep it's claimed operating resources lean.
Windows gives you the option of resetting the PC, you also have the option of keeping your files, or "Keep nothing." I would save your personal files and select "Keep nothing"
Or you have the second option of a clean reinstall, personally I would perform option two.
Keep regular backups of your important files for reinstalling at a later date. I don't think creating regular images will help you as you will be saving the corrupt system files too.

Reaction score
Sorry to interrupt. Just noticed the thread from a new post.

Upgrades are notorious for bringing problems from previous alterations and hacks, from earlier OSs. I would recommend a clean install of Windows !0 and your problems may be gone.

Reaction score
Now am trying reset of PC. Hope it takes back to factory settings and Windows 7 originally purchased. Hope it cleans all drives as chose that option. If corrupt files are in other partitions then this should take care of it by reformat or whatever guess it maybe. Otherwise buy new PC. Lol.

Reaction score
There is something weird going on with my PC. It does not allow any form of recovery or rest. Even to perform the clean install it failed at first until I deleted the partition. Then it reinstalled Windows 10 successfully. The corrupt files seem to be still lurking somewhere. It still does not allow recovery or reset of any kind. However seems to work fine except for that function meaning one way forward only. Strange too the clean install does not allow Chrome browser to become default. What is Windows 10 up to? Have they or any spy got my PC under their control. Any geeks here that can help?

Reaction score
Ok now allows change to Chrome browser. However any form of restore, reset or recovery is unsuccessful with message of something happened and hence not restored, reset or recovered.

Reaction score
The only way to stop being plagued with Win 7 or Win 10 corrupt files and registry entries is to perform a clean install of Windows 10. Make sure to Back up your personal data first so you can reinstalling on a clean system. Once your PC has had Win 10 installed, it is already registered with MS, you can be reinstall it as often as necessary. When the install screen prompts you for the install the license code, just click on already have one.

Reaction score
That is exactly what I had done Norton and it still shows same message error in sfc and system restore. My PC now simply been disabled to even revert to factory settings and that is what puzzles me.

Reaction score
What media and from what source, is the media you are using for a clean install of windows 10? Presumably, after the "clean" install, you reinstalled Chrome?

Reaction score
Ok happened to have my 2015 June system image backup and finally the SFC scan gave a clear message. Now updating outdated windows 10 again and hope no new errors.

Ask a Question