SOLVED 2TB Thumb Drives

Reaction score
Had a bit of a long absence here.. Had a bit o' down time with some crushed ribs that needed repair...

ribs_crop.jpg

Anywho, I have a friend who gave me two 2TB thumb drives to put some movies and TV shows on.. At first I thought they were phony as deals on ThumbDrives that sound too good to be true usually are...

But I copied over about 1.7 TB of Movies (all legally purchased, of course..) and they appeared to copy over and play back without a hitch.. But when I finally got it back to my friend (long story) about 2 weeks later, the thumb drive was corrupted and unreadable...

Is there some kind of software program to test these types of thumb drives that is conclusive and doesn't take days??? Doesn't need to preserve the data. I am resigned to the fact that I will likely have to redo it... But it would be nice to be able to know definitively w/o having to wait days and tie up hardware for that long..

Thanx in advance for any suggestions...

Reaction score
My largest Thumb drives are 64GB, haven't needed to get a 128GB yet but have heard there's 256GB available, never heard of anything larger. For the money I prefer the pocketable drives such as WD's My Passport, other brands are available such as Seagate and Toshiba, $60USD gets at least 1TB or larger but they probably are electromechanical known as spinners. The SSD usually are more.

Reaction score
There are thumb drives with that capacity (2TB) like the Kingston DataTraveler Ultimate GT which was introduced in 2017. However that one has a price tag of over $1000.
I assume the friend did not pay that much, so I have to think that it is a fake. It appears to the outside as a 2TB drive, however on the inside is usually much less (more like in the 60GB range) which is getting overwritten over and over. Some years ago I have read an article on how this is done within the controller of the thumb drive.
I myself had purchased smaller thumb drives (1GB) of Ebay, just to find out they are junk and act the same way as the TO.

With large drives I rely more on mobile HDD's like Bighorn does. Mine are all WD passports and the oldest is now 6 years old with almost daily use.

Reaction score
Yea, my first instinct was that they were fake... For all the reasons ya'all gave...

It just threw me when the data actually copied over.. Usually if they are fake they crap out after 8 or 16 or32 GB.....

I assume there is no ThumbDrive Test that can test that big a drive in a timely manner???

OK I'm gonna recommend to my friend he get a portable 2.5" or 3.5" multi TB drive..

Thanx for all the replies....

Reaction score
Some of these fake drives will appear to copy the files when in fact they’re just overwriting the files already on the drive.
Some testing software:

Reaction score
I wonder why they were good, and then not good, I my self had 2 such 2TB USBs, and have no issue, with them, a client uses them weekly to make full backups of Business. and then verifies them on a 4th system. (Laptop), the backups are made with Acronis of 3 System in the Office. and If one failed i would 100% hear about it... but You can also test with HHDLLFormat.
But I copied over about 1.7 TB of Movies (all legally purchased, of course..) and they appeared to copy over and play back without a hitch.. But when I finally got it back to my friend (long story) about 2 weeks later, the thumb drive was corrupted and unreadable...

Ask a Question