3D Builder: Error 0x80004005

Reaction score
I get this error code about 1 in 10 times when saving 3D models in MS 3D Builder (.3mf file format). message reads "Couldn't export that. Please try again. Error code: 0x80004005". Trying aga yeild the same result. I can Save As .stl, or .obj successfully, but not always .3mf. This can be very frustrating when working on complex models over a number of days, when despite frequent back-ups, work can be lost.

Note that the problem does occur with any consistency - it's about 1 in 10, but once it has happened for a particular file it sticks. Oh, and it also 'overwrites' the previous file of the same name - making the new one 0bytes before declaring it can't be saved.

Any ideas, anyone?

Reaction score
I suggest you to try the below methods and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1: Run the Windows App Troubleshooter
I suggest you to download and run the app troubleshooter from the below link and check if it helps.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/run-the-troubleshooter-for-windows-apps

Further if the issue persists, try Method 2.

Method 2: Try Updating the App from the Store.

I suggest you to update the Apps with issues, from the Windows Store. This may resolve the issue. Refer the link below for details about updating Apps on Windows 10.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...updates-for-apps-and-games-from-windows-store

Hope this information is helpful.

Reaction score
Thanks AnnieGeek. I've done Method 1, so we'll see if that works. Can't force recreate the problem as it happens intermittently, but we'll see if that fixes it.

Reaction score
I get this same error trying to open a 3MF file I created with 3D Builder. I have included a sample file. I built this with 3D Builder a while ago as a test print file. I can open it with Cura, then save it as an STL file, then inport the STL into 3D Builder, but then the objects are all one and cannot be manipulated.

Attachments

• Test Object.zip
    75.8 KB · Views: 276
Reaction score
Drag and drop your 3mf into Cura. Then after it loads it may not look quite right, but the pieces will be there. Then export it as a 3mf using the menus in Cura. Then open it in 3d builder again and run a repair on it if the dialogue comes up. Then wait a long time and do a fresh save under a new name when it is done.

If the model is still open in 3d builder then you can save it as an object file and then reload it from the object file and then save it as 3mf under a new name and keep working on it.

You can avoid 3dbuilder shitting the bed as often by copy and pasting objects or small groups of objects that you want to work on into a new scene then doing your work there and when done copy and pasting it back into the full scene to replace the part that you copied to modify.

Reaction score
Drag and drop your 3mf into Cura. Then after it loads it may not look quite right, but the pieces will be there. Then export it as a 3mf using the menus in Cura. Then open it in 3d builder again and run a repair on it if the dialogue comes up. Then wait a long time and do a fresh save under a new name when it is done.

If the model is still open in 3d builder then you can save it as an object file and then reload it from the object file and then save it as 3mf under a new name and keep working on it.

You can avoid 3dbuilder shitting the bed as often by copy and pasting objects or small groups of objects that you want to work on into a new scene then doing your work there and when done copy and pasting it back into the full scene to replace the part that you copied to modify.
There's no update available. And it keeps flippin'.
Error 0x80004005 again.

Ask a Question