WIN 10 mirror error

Reaction score
I have WIN 10 Pro installed trying to mirror Disk 0 (465.32GB), C: to Disk 1 unallocated (465.76GB) and get "there is not enough space available on the disk to complete this operation". I cannot find any solutions. Any ideas much appreciated.

PhilM

Reaction score
When a disk shows Unallocated space it means no partition exists in that space and cannot be formatted or a drive letter assigned to it, hence the message. Should be able to take care of the issue in Disk Management. Also keep in mind that backing up to or mirroring to that partition could cause loss of all data if the drive fails, better/safer to use a second drive, either internal or External USB or eSATA [if the computer has such a port].

EDIT: I missed the Disk 0 and Disk 1 part but the solution I suggested remains the same.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply, Bighorn.

Not sure I follow your thoughts regarding the mirror drive. Idea is to save files if Disk 0 fails physically. Your statement, "...backing up to or mirroring to that partition could cause loss of all data if the drive fails..." is referring to a software issue, so that both Disk 0 and Disk 1 end up as corrupt? Do I have that right?

I am using Disk Management for the mirror. Both drives are equal capacity SSDs and I am following guidelines:
1) Open Disk Management - new drive is recognized by WIN 10 Pro
2) Right-click drive to be mirrored, Disk 0 C:
3) From menu choose Add Mirror...
4) Window opens to select location for mirror, Disk 1
5) Click Add Mirror
6) Warning appears saying converting disks to dynamic prevents starting system from any but boot volume (which is Disk 0, C:)
7) Click Yes, and error shows, "There is not enough space available on the disks to complete this operation."

I tried creating a volume in Disk 1 first, but attempt to mirror Disk 0 (C:) shows grayed out option for Add Mirror...
So, I'm thinking a 3rd party mirroring utility may be needed. any more thoughts?

Thanks,
PhilM

Reaction score
I missed the part that you have 2 physical drives so using the second that is unallocated would be okay if using Disk Management to partition that unallocated drive first followed by formatting.

I don't mirror drives but maybe Macrium Reflect backup program that is recommended by others will have the feature.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Not a fan of "Dynamic Disks"
Not a fan of "Software Mirroring"

While mirroring will protect you against catastrophic physical failure.
IF data becomes corrupted, for whatever reason, that corruption is mirrored.

Use the second drive as suggested with some third party program to maintain an image of your system drive.
Personally, I use Acronis True Image, but a lot of people seem to like the free alternatives of which Macrium Reflect seems to get a lot of positive mentions.

Reaction score
Not a fan of "Dynamic Disks"
Not a fan of "Software Mirroring"

While mirroring will protect you against catastrophic physical failure.
IF data becomes corrupted, for whatever reason, that corruption is mirrored.

Both of these statements are true regardless if it's a software RAID or hardware RAID

Reaction score
First, use the Disk Management tool to format the second drive to a filesystem recognizable by WIndows.
Then mirror the data to the second drive.
It is always safe to first, ensure that the integrity of the data being mirrored is not compromised then mirror the data to another disk.

Ask a Question