A Windows Scandal?

Reaction score
Is this the newest Windows scandal?

You can buy a brand-new tablet with Windows 10 and a 32 gigabytes hard drive. But Windows 10 takes up 20 of those gigabytes. When Microsoft sends you upgrades, the tablet sometimes can't accept them. Eventually, all 32 gig hard drives will be unable to accept new upgrades. But Microsoft isn't publicizing this.

Reaction score
It's not just Windows. All tablets/phones are like this. It's like a base model car. You have to add memory/options for it to function like you want it.
Buy an Android tablet with minimum memory and see how fast it fills up.

Reaction score
What does that have to do with Microsoft. The OEM's know this and they release the tablet. You can't get a Surface book or Pro 4 with less then 128 GB of storage.

Reaction score
What does that have to do with Microsoft. The OEM's know this and they release the tablet. You can't get a Surface book or Pro 4 with less then 128 GB of storage.
Microsoft authorizes them to install Windows 10, knowing that the hard drive is too small. Nobody tells the consumer this.

Reaction score
No that's why MS doesn't support OEM version of WIndows the OEM is required to support Windows on their own devices. MS does activate Windows but that's based on the OEM. The OEM designs the hardware.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Valid point, Jake.

But Folks, one way or the other, you shouldn't buy a Windows 10 tablet with a 32 gig hard drive.

Reaction score
Valid point, Jake.

But Folks, one way or the other, you shouldn't buy a Windows 10 tablet with a 32 gig hard drive.
What consumers need to do is research products before buying, instead of just blaming others. Companies are just going to pass the buck. I hate to say, but people making an impulse buy of an expensive product or service, has no one to blame but themselves.

Reaction score
Plus a tablet with 32 GB HD will probably also have a low res screen and be uder or around 200.00.

Reaction score
BigFeet, I agree, and have posted, that before you buy any computer you need to write down its model number and specs, and then go home and research it on the web. But Microsoft and tablet manufacturers are still being dishonest in not warning people that buying a Windows 10 tablet with a 32 gig hard drive is a mistake.

A failure to do proper research does not justify a company cheating you.

Reaction score
Microsoft has nothing to do with it as they don't have a tablet that was released after Windows 10 with less then 128 gb of ram. If you go to Best Buy those specs are listed right under the laptop.

Reaction score
On another forum, someone wrote in to disagree (politely) with my warning not to buy a Windows 10 tablet with 32 gigs of hard drive. The writer said:

"Case in point: with a fairly full program load and all updates, the internal 32GB eMMC in my Quantum Byte has just under 5GBs left."

I rest my case.

Reaction score
Really no case to rest. This is a well known issue dating back to Vista. I had a 32gb Windows 7 netbook given to me that had the same issue. I but Ubuntu on it, and couldn't have been happier. I never would nor should anyone ever buy a Windows PC with 32gb of storage. Even if it could update, do the math.

Reaction score
My wife has one. It has around 12Gb free and is on the latest version. I've given her a 64Gb microSD card for her data. It all seems to work fine.

Alan

Reaction score
Wrooooong.
Got that out of your system? My point was you have to do your research for what you're buying.
Pay attention to the system specs and get something that will work for you. Some people wont put all kinds of stuff on a tablet/phone so don't need all that memory.
Others download everything that catches their eye and do need it.

Reaction score
Cradom, I agree with you that the buyer needs to do research first. But that doesn't excuse the fact that both MS and the manufacturers know that it is a mistake to buy a 32 gig Windows 10 tablet. Yes, you can buy an expansion card, but they don't tell you that in advance.

Some computer stores, perhaps wanting to avoid refund hassles, are warning their customers.

Reaction score
Is this the newest Windows scandal?

You can buy a brand-new tablet with Windows 10 and a 32 gigabytes hard drive. But Windows 10 takes up 20 of those gigabytes. When Microsoft sends you upgrades, the tablet sometimes can't accept them. Eventually, all 32 gig hard drives will be unable to accept new upgrades. But Microsoft isn't publicizing this.
I just added a micros sd card. No problem

Reaction score
Well, it hasn't turned out the way I predicted--yet.

For the July 29 update, MS has warned that your rig must have a minimum of 2 gigs of RAM. People who own tablets with 1 gig are trying to find out what will happen to them.

Ask a Question