Activation problems on Windows 10 Home

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a problem while activating Windows 10 Home. I have two keys, one is Windows 8.1 Home Single Language UEFI key which was preinstalled with my PC. I was upgraded it to Windows 10 while it was free. The other one is Windows 7 Home Premium key i took it from my old laptop (it was broken and i threw away, also i didn't upgrade that to Windows 10 while it was free). I managed to activate Windows 7 Home Premium key on my desktop, after i installed Windows 7 on it. There was no problem until I realised something. When I install Windows 10, it activates itself automatically and says "Edition: Windows 10 Home Single Language" and "Windows is activated" in Settings>Update & Security>Activation tab. Then i enter Windows 7 key and it activates itself again and says "Edition: Windows 10 Home" and "Windows is activated" in Settings>Update & Security>Activation tab. But when i check the PC's product key from "ShowKeyPlus" program, it shows the installed key as 37GNV-YCQVD-38XP9-T848R-FC2HD and NTRHT-XTHTG-GBWCG-4MTMP-HH64C for each edition in Windows. Also i run slmgr /dli in cmd, it says it's on OEM_DM channel for both activations (Partial Product Key: FC2HD and HH64C for each).

After these problems, i tried to activate Windows from cmd. I tried slmgr /ipk command with 8.1 and 7 product keys, but i got different errors for them.
Windows 8.1 key=> Error: 0xC004E016, Software license service reported that the product key is invalid.
Windows 7 key=> Error: 0xc004f050, Software license service reported that the product key is invalid.

What to do for this issue? Thanks.

Reaction score
An issue can arise when trying to activate Win10 when it has already been activated, the only time I try changing is in Upgrading from Home to Pro. It has always worked [about a dozen computers] except for one of mine with the Win8 Ultimate key, gave me the Win10 Enterprise and wouldn't activate as it could not find the Enterprise/Volume Licensing server to do so.

Once activated Win10 can be reinstalled or clean installed on same hardware several times and get the Digital License statement, information is stored on a Microsoft database somewhere.

An OEM BIOS for Win8 and later will have the Product Key embedded so having to enter the key would be for the Retail version and maybe the System Builder version for the shops building Custom computers.

Reaction score
Well, i think Microsoft database is corrupted about my PC's activation process somehow because as i said, Windows Activation tab in Settings say that Windows is activated when i try both my Home and Home SL keys, but when i check the activation status from slmgr /dlv, it says that Windows is "activated" through OEM_DM channel, yet license keys are generic keys. Technically, you CAN'T activate Windows using generic keys, you can only use them to install Windows. but this script says "License status: Licensed" and "Partial Product Key: HH64C" for Home SL, "FC2HD" for Home; which refers to NTRHT-XTHTG-GBWCG-4MTMP-HH64C and 37GNV-YCQVD-38XP9-T848R-FC2HD. These are generic keys and you can't activate Windows by using them.

May i ask if you have any computer that Windows 8 or 7 was preinstalled on them when you bought them and you upgraded to Windows 10 when it was free for the first year or you tried to install Windows 10 after this free period ends, can you check its product key ? If it is a generic key, i'll say that my issue isn't actually a issue and mark this thread as solved. You can search the product key on the web to see if it's generic or private. If it's your private key, i'll investigate this issue further.

Regards,

Reaction score
Yes, I got 2 computers new, a Desktop and a Notebook, that came with Win8. I then updated to Win8.1 and later Upgraded both to Win10. I have Upgraded a couple of Win7 and Win10 picked up their activation. I also have done full/clean installs of Win7 on replacement HDDs and activated by entering the Product Key from the COA label on them, one is still running Win7 but no longer connected to the Internet.

Reaction score
It's nice that you have too many computers that were upgraded to Windows 10 from its predecessors which can be argument for this activation chaos. Would you please install ShowKeyPlus app on all of these computers you have and check their "Installed Key"s? You can download it from Microsoft Store. If you see *Default Key - requires a Digital License for activation label at the bottom, i will accept that this is a normal situation when you upgrade from Windows 7/8.1 to 10, but if there is no label and the keys after "Installed Key:" title is unique for your PC's, I will say that the activation process between my PC and Microsoft servers is completely messed up.

I bought Windows 10 Pro key online and re-installed Windows 10 to activate it. I am using legitimate Pro now and i checked that there is no activation problem, nor ShowKeyPlus, nor slmgr /dlv. I have no issues now but i really want to know if this is an issue or a normal thing.

Thank you for your attention.

Ask a Question