Windows 10 activation question.

Reaction score
I'd like to know how it is with such `win 10` activation methods.
  1. How can the activation work with such universal keys chance Microsoft says that it is one to one relation between computer and win 10 copy (key)? How can one key works with numbers of hardware's.
  2. If such method (`slmgr /ipk` ...) is it legal and if not what is the risk of using it? Can Microsoft track me down?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hi Daro911,

there are plenty of 3rd party dealers selling Windows licence keys, most of them are bought in bulk for the OEM market and then sold at a low price but afaik the keys are legal, if a key were not, when you enter the number a message would appear on your screen telling you that the key is invalid. :)

Did you buy a key from such a dealer from the likes of eBay?.

Once installed, your computer is assigned a digital activation ID specific to that computer, you never need the key if you reinstall Windows 10 on that computer again. :)

Reaction score
I'd like to know how it is with such `win 10` activation methods.
  1. How can the activation work with such universal keys chance Microsoft says that it is one to one relation between computer and win 10 copy (key)? How can one key works with numbers of hardware's.
  2. If such method (`slmgr /ipk` ...) is it legal and if not what is the risk of using it? Can Microsoft track me down?
When MS issues keys you never know how many Activations they approve, some are 200 activations, and some up to100,000 Activations.
There are Legal method of finding how many keys are left for Activations. VAMT 3.1 via ADK, and keys a specific your MS Account per Device.
as sample of
Keys.png

and yes slmgr /ipk is legal it is approved by MS as to how to change keys.

Reaction score
When MS issues keys you never know how many Activations they approve, some are 200 activations, and some up to100,000 Activations.
There are Legal method of finding how many keys are left for Activations. VAMT 3.1 via ADK, and keys a specific your MS Account per Device.
as sample of
View attachment 11319
and yes slmgr /ipk is legal it is approved by MS as to how to change keys.
Ok thx. for asnswer. So if i'm right that if firm X I'd like to buy say 100 copies of win MS gives her ONE key that could be used for 100 activations on 100 different stations?

Reaction score
Hi Daro911,

there are plenty of 3rd party dealers selling Windows licence keys, most of them are bought in bulk for the OEM market and then sold at a low price but afaik the keys are legal, if a key were not, when you enter the number a message would appear on your screen telling you that the key is invalid. :)

Did you buy a key from such a dealer from the likes of eBay?.

Once installed, your computer is assigned a digital activation ID specific to that computer, you never need the key if you reinstall Windows 10 on that computer again. :)
Ok thx. for asnswer. So if i'm right that if firm X I'd like to buy say 100 copies of win MS gives her ONE key that could be used for 100 activations on 100 different stations?

Reaction score
Hi Daro911,

one key per computer, if you buy 100 keys, you can only use one key once per computer!. You must simply be careful that you buy the keys from a trusted source, there are many shady dealers out there trying to sell illegal keys!. :)

Ask a Question