Resetting and Activation with Windows 10 questions

Reaction score
I have a PC running Windows 10 Insider Preview (the current or last build) I would like to give it to my sister and reset to the regular Windows 10, non preview version so I have a couple of questions:

When resetting will it reset to the same Insider Preview build it is currently on or will it reset to regular Windows 10? And is there any chance Windows will be deactivated after resetting it?

If I wanted to download the current ISO and reformat the PC with it will it deactivate or will it remain activated?

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Resetting just goes to the OS version you are running. Within 30 days of an Insider update I think you can go back to the previous Insider update.

If this PC was updated to W10 production from W7 or W8 i.e to W10 10240 or 10586.1511 before you went to the Insider program then it should be activated and if you install an production version it should stay that way....I think.

Either way...in the worst case you are only out $100 for a W10 home licence.

Reaction score
I can't remember if I took the HD from another PC, I'm not sure. Wouldn't it say Windows is not activated if I did? It says Windows is activated with a digital entitlement.
So what happens if I did take it from another PC? Would it just stay as an Insider Preview version, or would it automatically update to production Redstone and then become deactivated?

Ask a Question