Factory resetting Windows

Reaction score
I want to reset Windows because my laptop started to run slow and crashed frequently(I think it has a virus) When I went to reset it it asked me if I should fully clean the drive or just wipe my personal files etc. It says to fully clear the drive if I'm recyling the PC. What does it mean by this. If I completely clear it will it still be usable? And will it still have Windows installed after the reset?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
What does it mean by this.
It means that it will return to Windows 10 with no applications, of user data files remaining on the hard drive. Just Windows and it's associated Apps.
If I completely clear it will it still be usable?
It should be, although....
(I think it has a virus)
I've never considered using the reset feature to resolve a possible virus infection.
AND
It might very well depend on which files were impacted by the infection, as to whether or not that infection would survive and remain in-place after a reset.
And will it still have Windows installed after the reset?
Yes.

My advise would be to acquire the installation media from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 using the the Download tool to create installation media from the ISO and use that to completely format the drive removing any potentially infected partitions in advance of a clean custom install.

Reaction score
Before going through the process of resetting the computer and losing all of your files why don't you run your antivirus program and see if it finds anything. Then clean it if it does. You can also download the free version of malwarebytes and scan your computer. You might have malware and not a virus on your system. I would do those two things before I would reset the computer and lose your files.

Ask a Question