SOLVED Will I lose Windows 10 if I restore to factory settings?

Reaction score
I want to restore my computer to factory settings. It was bought with Windows 8 and subsequently upgraded to Windows 8.1 and then Windows 10, via the free upgrades that were offered.
If I restore to factory settings will my operating system be returned to Windows 8, or will I retain Windows 10?

Reaction score
It will be restored to the factory condition, that is Windows 8. I strongly suggest you create a full disk image before attempting to restore to OEM factory settings.

Reaction score
If you want to reinstall just use the ISO for Windows 10 and do a clean install.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Why is it you want to return to Windows 8?
Personally, I'd go with Jake B's recommendation above and just do a clean install of Windows 10

Regedit32

Reaction score
Rolling back to Windows 8
may have undesirable affects

applesoft.jpg

Windows 8 takes a bite out of Microsoft 10's Start logo

:eek:

Reaction score
Personally, I'd go with Jake B's recommendation above and just do a clean install of Windows 10

Trouble I agree and was going to ask the same question. It could be that the OP has two PCs and wishes to switch one back to Windows 8. I switched my Laptop back to Win 7 Pro after the Win 10 upgrade.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I can certainly understand going back to 7. I can even sort of understand going back to 8.1 but not 8.
I was simply echoing JakeB's post as I got a sense that perhaps the OP wasn't aware that they could just clean install Windows 10 without going through all the upgrade steps again.
AND
Some folks want to make sure that they use the factory reset partition to get back to the original OOBE (drivers, programs, etc. in place), which I never understood because usually that route comes with a whole bunch of bloatware.

Reaction score
I actually want to retain Windows 10 (sorry this wasn't clear in my message). I took advantage of the free upgrade and I'm concerned that if my computer reverts to Windows 8, I'll have to pay to get Windows 10 again.
I like Windows 10 but my computer has some issues so I want to just clear it and start over.

Reaction score
One problem with doing a restore to factory setting is your going to have to do all the updates to Windows 8 from when you purchased until current then upgrade to Windows 8.1. When if you DL the ISO form the Media Creation tool you will get Windows much more current.

Once you install Windows 10 upgrade the first time it creates a Digital Entitlement which is basically allows you to reinstall as many times as you want.

Reaction score
Many thanks for the responses. I managed to reset the computer using the Windows 10 reset function.
Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Reset this PC
This wiped all files, apps and settings, but retained Windows 10. Computer is working way better now!

Ask a Question