SOLVED Failed resetting my laptop to factory default

Reaction score
Guys, i am new here. And what brought me here is i need your expert assistance. I have an acer laptop and tried "resetting" my windows 10 and delete all files so I can have a fresh start.

I am not an expert but definitely not a beginner when it comes to windows. I followed each step before initiating the "reset". After more or less 4 hours of waiting.. It did not install successfully.

What to do? I do not have an installer with me. I bought the laptop with an original windows 10 already.

What to do?

Thanks in advance.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
IF the computer came with Windows 10 pre-installed, that might suggest that the system might have a factory partition that you can use to restore the system to the OOBE state it was in when you first purchased it, assuming that it came from the factory with Windows 10 and you didn't purchase it second hand and it had been updated to Windows 10 by the previous owner.
OR
Assuming that you have a second system that you can use to acquire the installation media.....
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
Choose Windows 10, the first item in the first drop down (not single language at the bottom)
Next choose your language and your bit version (32 or 64 bit to match your system architecture or in the case of an upgrade, to match your currently installed version of Windows).
That will provide an ISO that will upgrade, repair (or clean install) either or both Windows 10 Pro and Home.
Once you have downloaded the ISO you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
OR
Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive http://rufus.akeo.ie/
Once you've managed to create the installation media from the ISO, you should be able to boot from that and perform a custom clean install, which should provide the
so I can have a fresh start.
IF that is your goal.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
IF the computer came with Windows 10 pre-installed, that might suggest that the system might have a factory partition that you can use to restore the system to the OOBE state it was in when you first purchased it, assuming that it came from the factory with Windows 10 and you didn't purchase it second hand

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I got this laptop brand new with Windows 10 already installed. How to do this OOBE if you don't mind.

Reaction score
Assuming that you have a second system that you can use to acquire the installation media.....
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
Choose Windows 10, the first item in the first drop down (not single language at the bottom)
Next choose your language and your bit version (32 or 64 bit to match your system architecture or in the case of an upgrade, to match your currently installed version of Windows).
That will provide an ISO that will upgrade, repair (or clean install) either or both Windows 10 Pro and Home.
Once you have downloaded the ISO you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
OR
Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive http://rufus.akeo.ie/
Once you've managed to create the installation media from the ISO, you should be able to boot from that and perform a custom clean install

Follow up question. If i opt for this one, will my Windows 10 still be licensed and activated? Because when I bought this laptop, there was no product keys or activation code was provided. Thank you in advance.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The license / product key is embedded so you will never likely ever need it to reinstall windows again.
The Out Of Box Experience is the state that the computer was in when you first brought it home. No user data, just the typical OS and manufactuer's bloatware.
To evoke the process is often unique to each individual manufacturer and sometimes even different models from the same manufacturer.
Checking any documentation that might have come with the computer or using the manufactuer's support site will probably produce more useful information than any guessing I might attempt.
Virtually all newer laptops come with a factory partition that allows users to return the computer to its' factory condition and it normally involves some combination of keyboard keys at POST (when you first turn on your comptuer).

Reaction score
The license / product key is embedded so you will never likely ever need it to reinstall windows again.
The Out Of Box Experience is the state that the computer was in when you first brought it home. No user data, just the typical OS and manufactuer's bloatware.
To evoke the process is often unique to each individual manufacturer and sometimes even different models from the same manufacturer.
Checking any documentation that might have come with the computer or using the manufactuer's support site will probably produce more useful information than any guessing I might attempt.
Virtually all newer laptops come with a factory partition that allows users to return the computer to its' factory condition and it normally involves some combination of keyboard keys at POST (when you first turn on your comptuer).

I have checked the box of my laptop, there's no documentation whatsoever. LOL. So I do not know how to start in OOBE state.

I guess I will have to do the 2nd option where I have to download the WINDOWS 10 ISO to do a fresh install. If I do this option, and as I have said earlier, I have no activation code and product key with me, WOULD THERE BE A PROBLEM?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Why don't you provide the specifics on your laptop and perhaps someone will have a similar computer and be able to offer some assistance.
Manufacturer's name, Model Name, Model Number (complete model / part number)..

Reaction score
Why don't you provide the specifics on your laptop and perhaps someone will have a similar computer and be able to offer some assistance.
Manufacturer's name, Model Name, Model Number (complete model / part number)..
Hi SIr. Sorry for not posting it exactly in this thread because it is already saved in my profile (system specs)

anyways, here it is..

Acer Laptop / Aspire v15 (V3-575G-52PY) / Intel core i5-6200 2.3 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce 940M, 8GB ddr3, 1TB hdd. Windows 10 64 bit

By the way, I have downloaded the Win10_1511_2_EnglishInternational_x64 and made a bootable one via RUFUS.

I have tried to do these steps but won't get the message "PRESS ANY KEY TO BOOT FROM USB". Appreciate you time and patience if you could further assist me please? I would really appreciate it.

2z8pyrk.jpg

314ugy9.jpg

vg7qxx.jpg

2r210n4.jpg

Attachments

• specs.JPG
    specs.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 658

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Recovery media is not necessary to recover your computer. You can use Acer Recovery Management to reinstall your Operating System from a hidden partition built into your computer. If you have replaced your original hard drive, you will not have Recovery Management, and will need to install windows using Recovery disks.

Note: During the process, all data stored on your computer will be overwritten. This means all your files, such as email and photos, will be erased. Therefore, we recommend making a backup of all personal data before starting the recovery process..

Use the following steps to start the system recovery:

1. Restart the computer.
  2. When the Acer logo appears on the screen, press the left Alt, and the F10 keys.
  3. If you are prompted with a Microsoft Windows boot screen, press the Enter key.
  4. After the Acer eRecovery Management application has loaded, select your restore type.
  5. Read the notice, and then click Next when you are ready.
  6. Click Next to begin the restore process. The restore can take anywhere from 10 minutes up to an hour.
  7. Once the restore is complete your computer will load Windows and start installing your drivers and software. Your computer may reboot several times during this process. After everything is complete your computer will be like it was when you first purchased it.
If the steps above do not work, you will need to use recovery media to restore your system.
SOURCE: https://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2631/related/1
By the way, I have downloaded the Win10_1511_2_EnglishInternational_x64 and made a bootable one via RUFUS.
I have tried to do these steps but won't get the message "PRESS ANY KEY TO BOOT FROM USB". Appreciate you time and patience if you could further assist me please? I would really appreciate it.
When booting a UEFI system you'll need to configure Rufus in advance of creating the installation media as follows

Rufus.JPG

Reaction score
SOURCE:

When booting a UEFI system you'll need to configure Rufus in advance of creating the installation media as follows

I was trying to copy the exact image you posted but cannot get the FAT32 (Default) and 16 kilobyte (Default) in my end.

eqtoqp.jpg

What I can choose is LARGE FAT32 (Default) and 32 kilobytes (Default).

Will this matter in the process?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Oh by the way, for everybody's record.. ACER RECOVERY MANAGEMENT DID NOT WORK.

I got this message.

2eqf4ex.jpg

Reaction score
I think that will probably work.
All I can say is try it
I guess it worked.. I am now on these steps.. Hope it would be successful this time.

j7b05u.jpg

2q30rqe.jpg

2n6ui6u.jpg

2a62rur.jpg

2h6vi4i.jpg

I am just worried with the ACTIVATION keys.. it did ask for it. But there's an option to select "I DO NOT HAVE THE ACTIVATION KEYS"

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I am just worried with the ACTIVATION keys.. it did ask for it. But there's an option to select "I DO NOT HAVE THE ACTIVATION KEYS"
That should work fine.
I've done it hundreds of times and it has always worked for me.
Once you are back up and running and connected to the internet it should activate just fine.
NOTE: You'll likely need to re-install your drivers to support the attached hardware.
Personally, I'd have used diskpart and wiped the whole drive and then installed in the unallocated space. IF recovery is not going to work for you there is no sense in keeping around a bunch of useless partitions.
You might want to consider contacting Acer and see if you can get them to send you the Recovery Media on DVD. If it is still under warranty, it should be free, otherwise there may be a nominal fee.

Reaction score
That should work fine.
I've done it hundreds of times and it has always worked for me.
Once you are back up and running and connected to the internet it should activate just fine.
NOTE:

For reference.. here is a sticker in the box of my laptop.. It says it is pre-installed with WINDOWS 10.

k2z7d0.jpg

But after the install, it says it is not ACTIVATED.

344pge1.jpg

Now how to resolve?

Again sir, I am very thankful for your precious time and willingness to help. BIG THANKS!

Reaction score
follow-up post.. I did a restart, and the error is now like this.. is this a good sign?

w0j31l.jpg

I also tried to click the "ACTIVATE" but did not do anything...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is the computer connected to the internet? Can you open a web browser?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
AS I said above you may need to install some drivers in order to get your network adapter(s) up and running so you can connect and receive your digital entitlement.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Manually check for Windows Updates and see if there is anything pending.
Reboot a couple times.
Have you checked the computer, maybe underneath the battery to see if there is a COA sticker anywhere?
Most factory installs embed the product key in the BIOS.

Ask a Question