SOLVED Windows 10 activation

Reaction score
So a couple of days ago my old windows 10 OS got viruses or something and crashed. I rebooted the pc from a windows 10 dvd. I didnt get a key when i first got windows 10 because I had windows 7 and got W10 during the free period.
Now my new Window 10 needs to be activated, and my keycode from windows 7 does not work. I have my old OS in the Windows.old folder, is there any way i can copy a certain file from that to my new Windows folder to get it activated? Feels unnecessary to buy it again :/

Regedit32

Reaction score
The free upgrade created a digital license which Microsoft stores.

If you sign-in to your Microsoft account and have your router turned on [ i.e. are able to connect to internet ], Windows ought to activate automatically,

Reaction score
Do you have to have an account with Microsoft? I have a gmail account already and don't want another. Will my computer still get activated and receive updates without an account? Will my new store bought software Product ID override the digital ID inside of it?

Reaction score
You do not have to have a MS account to get activated. I even only have a local account and get activated. As long as one does not change major hardware (i.e. motherboard) the hardware token on the MS server is valid and WILL activate one's system....

Ask a Question