SOLVED Windows 10 Activation Glitch

Reaction score
Last summer, I purchased a used Lenovo T440p with Windows 10 activated on it. I wiped the drive, and installed Windows 10 Pro and have been using it with no problems. I know it was activated. A couple of days ago, I received a Notification message stating that my laptop was not activated. Thinking it should be, I ran the Win 10 Activation Troubleshooter, and it told me that it could not activate Windows 10 pro, but could activate Windows 10 Home.

I wiped the drive and installed Windows 10 Home, which did activate. It took me a whole day to get the laptop and it's programs installed the way I like them installed.

Now I find that the problem was caused by some kind of glitch and that Microsoft has issued a fix for activation to Windows 10 Pro. But it is too late for me as I have already wiped the drive and installed Windows 10 Home.

Is there someway I can go back to Windows 10 Pro without a complete reinstall and without purchasing Windows 10 Pro? I believe I am legally entitled to it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm reasonably certain, you are not alone and that Microsoft caused a lot of distress with their activation server issues yesterday.

It is my belief that, yes you are entitled to Windows 10 Pro, but....
You'll likely have to perform another wipe and clean install in order to get the machine back on Pro again.

Typically if a machine has had Windows 10 installed (Pro or Home) that information is reported and registered and reinstalling is your right.
Grab the latest media from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
AND.... when you get to the part where you are prompted for a product key, simply click the link underneath that says "I don't have....."

I myself, had occasion to express some unhappiness with Microsoft and this problem yesterday, which caused me a fair amount of grief
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/preview-build-18277.18026/#post-92538

Reaction score
The original message concerning the arrival of the fix states to use the Activation troubleshooter and give it some time to work. I took the amount of time they meant as a couple of days.

I do not know if the reactivation of the Home version might effect that process.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I do not know if the reactivation of the Home version might effect that process.
IDK either, but....
Since the whole problem was caused by and entirely the fault of Microsoft my thoughts are that....
IF it didn't automatically generate an activation for Pro, I would certainly enjoy a phone call to their product activation folks and express my heartfelt and possibly a bit snarky opinion that "they jumped the shark" and screwed a bunch of people.

It may not result in a positive solution but it would make me feel a lot better.
IT's not like they don't know what they did. I would expect a very solicitous and helpful response along with an apology.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I mean they as much as told customers that they didn't have a right to their own installed version of Windows 10 Pro, but....
Somehow magically they had a Windows 10 Home digital licenses
AND
That they needed to install Windows 10 Home in order to use it.
NOW
What do you need to do, to a Windows 10 Pro machine to make it a Windows 10 Home machine??

Capture.PNG

It's ALL on them and they need to support and assist anyone with a problem to resolve it promptly

Reaction score
I contacted Microsoft Support (India, I think?) at 1-800-642-7676 and after reaching a technician, he connected to my machine and quickly reinstalled Windows 10 Pro activated. Problem solved

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Great to hear that you were able to resolve your issue, but....
Did you have to reinstall as you previously mentioned
It took me a whole day to get the laptop and it's programs installed the way I like them installed.
OR
Was he able to manipulate some registry entries to facilitate an in place upgrade from home to pro

Reaction score
Why do you want pro? It is my understanding that the only need for pro is if you want to use bitlocker.

Reaction score
Why do you want pro? It is my understanding that the only need for pro is if you want to use bitlocker.

There is a whole lot of difference in functionality between the Home and Pro version. My netbook upgraded to from Win 7 Home and my desktop upgraded from Win 7 Ultimate. Except for some basic browsing, email, and playing media I am barred on my netbook from 80 % of my activities on the desktop, The function or options simply do not exist. Just try personalisation for instance.

BTW I have not come across a single instance of Pro version being installed by the manufacturer of the equipment. Only Home version was available as preinstalled option . So I switched to buying DOS version and then buying Pro key on line. Except for a bit more effort I actually ended up saving close to $20/- per device and 100% genuine OS license activated online on MS servers.

Ask a Question