SOLVED Preview Build 18277

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Well, I got it installed.

Capture.PNG

AND THEN.... I was promptly notified that my Windows Activation was not activated.
I would strongly recommend that folks stay away from this build until they figure something out.
Evidently, from what I'm reading on Twitter and around the Web, they are aware of the issue and are looking into it.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/windo...ed-and-mad-over-microsofts-activation-glitch/

Capture1.PNG

Fortunately it was on my VM which I really don't worry too much about but it's still a pain in the butt and I'm not going to attempt it on my other physical machine running the Insider Preview.
The Feedback Hub is filling up with these types of postings.

Capture4.PNG

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks.... that's enlightening but unfortunately not overly comforting.
It seems that it's a never ending, one debacle after another.

Makes one nostalgic for a simpler time when we had an operating system that didn't phone home every two seconds, only to introduce extra chaos and confusion that nobody needs.
I think I'm developing Microsoft Related Stress Disorder.

Bif

Reaction score
that's enlightening but unfortunately not overly comforting.
It seems that it's a never ending, one debacle after another.
I'm ( cough,sputter ) extremely confident that they will fix all the bugs prior to releasing it to the masses...o_O

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Been seeing some weird reports.
Seems to be mostly involving Windows 10 Pro machines that were upgraded from Windows 7 Pro or Windows 8.1
BUT
I've seen a couple reports that have said they experienced the same thing on Windows 7 machines. I don't know if these were just one offs or not.

I thought it was just something to do with the latest Windows Insider Build, but evidently it is a bit broader than that.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Now THIS is really starting to piss me off.
Just now, on my Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview (physical machine) which I had switched to the Slow Ring, in hopes of specifically guarding against this got deactivated.

Capture5.PNG

Not sure what happened, the only update it received today was a Windows Defender update, but it must have phoned home to the activation servers and no one answered.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Both times when I ran the troubleshooter it said it found a "Home" version license but I've never used "Home" on any of my Insider Machines. At this point I'm reluctant to even turn on my machine running under the Release Preview Ring of the insider program.

Capture6.PNG

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It seems to be working again now although you have to run the activation troubleshooter in order to sync it back up again.

Reaction score
It seems to be working again now although you have to run the activation troubleshooter in order to sync it back up again.
One of mine is also fixed, just had to close Settings, reopen and check. Will be doing the other later.

Reaction score
When I restarted my insider preview it said on the screen that my windows is not activated and I should go to setting--activation and activate it. That message was on the screen a few seconds when it disappeared. I checked activation and my insider IS activated, although I had to start the settings twice cause the first time settings window closed itself....
It really looks like Microsoft has become very complacent and no one really has anything under control....

What was the saying again?? "when the cat is out of the house, the mice are having a party"

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It's become all about marketing.
Even the key people involved in the Insider Program are traveling the world to various events promoting the product, while we are struggling with extreme bugs that seem to come out of no where.
You expect the build to be buggy, it's pre-release (in effect "beta") software, but while we're dealing with the little things that aren't working or working as advertised.....
They throw something like Deactivating your license into the mix.

To much marketing
To little quality control.
AND
We'll probably never here definitively why or what, relative to the cause.
All I can say is that this glitch was extremely frustrating.

Reaction score
What was the saying again?? "when the cat is out of the house, the mice are having a party"
What I learned oh, so many years ago, was "when the cat's away the mice will play" but in 'conversation' didn't usually apply to the four-legged critters.

Reaction score
In my case, curiosity did not kill the cat!
I just had to have a go, although I am not , any longer, participating in the insider program.
. Made a fresh install, keeping my data., from an ISO.
It took a really long time, about 30 minutes at a guess.
End result was a trouble free OS (activated.).
A not very thorough search, did not show me any significant differences from my standard Windows 10 1803.
I think it is decision time for me. Nothing exciting on the horizon, so I will make every effort to stop anymore updates of any nature, including definitions. I'll grab a third party antivirus prog.
It seems a boring waste of time , waiting for the other shoe to drop with something innovative. It isn't going to happen.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing...
UPDATE 11/13: We have released Cumulative Update Build 18277.1006 (KB4470200) to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring. This Cumulative Update contains the following fixes/changes:

• We’re putting an update block for this build in place for a small number of PCs that use Nuvoton (NTC) TPM chips with a specific firmware version (1.3.0.1) due to a bug causing issues with Windows Hello face/biometric/pin login not working.
  • We’ve fixed a media display bug that was causing unexpected display rendering for some users.
SOURCE: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...ider-preview-build-18277/#TIwHHu4ecg8HEhh6.97

Ask a Question