SOLVED Add icon to task bar. Cannot drag & drop nor copy & paste from desktop.

Reaction score
Generally, you can locate the app in the Start menu, right click on it and select 'More' from the popup menu. In that menu, you should then find 'Pin to taskbar'. If the icon is already on the desktop, right clicking on it should also reveal a 'Pin to taskbar' selection.

Reaction score
Generally, you can locate the app in the Start menu, right click on it and select 'More' from the popup menu. In that menu, you should then find 'Pin to taskbar'. If the icon is already on the desktop, right clicking on it should also reveal a 'Pin to taskbar' selection.
Thanks for your quick response.
The icon I want is not an available app. It is a shortcut to the web browser Duck Duck Go. It was in my tas bar but I must have deleted it inadvertently. It is not in my programs, so I cannot access it that way either. Is there any way to add it to my taskbar.

Reaction score
In this case, you can copy the 'https://duckduckgo.com/' url from clifford_cooley's post, right click on an empty area of your desktop, and from the menu, choose 'New'. Then from that list, choose 'Shortcut' and paste the url into the box provided. On the next screen, give it the name of your choice and you should be set.

Reaction score
That just creates an URL shortcut on Desktop. URL's can't be pinned to Taskbar. Under the Browser frequent list though, they can be pinned there.

Reaction score
I just RC on a shortcut and pin it to the task bar with the context menu.

Reaction score
That just creates an URL shortcut on Desktop. URL's can't be pinned to Taskbar. Under the Browser frequent list though, they can be pinned there.
Right - I already have shortcut on desktop, & cannot right click to taskbar. Where do I find browser frequent list? I tried many searches & can't find it.

Reaction score
If you pin the browser to the Taskbar, you should be able to right-click the browser icon to see the frequent and pinned list. It is also referred to as the Jump List on the Start Menu.

Reaction score
If you pin the browser to the Taskbar, you should be able to right-click the browser icon to see the frequent and pinned list. It is also referred to as the Jump List on the Start Menu.
That's my original problem. I cannot pin Duck Duck Go to my taskbar. If it were an app, that would be easy. Maybe the problem is that I made Google Chrome my default browser when IE kept stopping. My Start menu has no Jump list - am using Win 10. Any other suggestions?

Reaction score
I have Windows 10 Professional and the Start Menu (both Classic Shell and the default menu) has Jump List.

Your browser is the application for opening URL's. Pin your browser to the Taskbar. And then pin your URL's within the Jump List of the Browser. Each browser stores it's own Jump List items.

Office documents are the same way. You can't pin Office documents to Taskbar. But you can pin them from the frequent list of the application for which they are associated.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I don't understand, if you like DuckDuckGo as a search engine, why you don't just make it your home page or a second home page and then when you open your browser it will either default to opening it or it will produce a second tab.

Reaction score
I have Windows 10 Professional and the Start Menu (both Classic Shell and the default menu) has Jump List.

Your browser is the application for opening URL's. Pin your browser to the Taskbar. And then pin your URL's within the Jump List of the Browser. Each browser stores it's own Jump List items.

Office documents are the same way. You can't pin Office documents to Taskbar. But you can pin them from the frequent list of the application for which they are associated.
I have Win 10 Home. Found jump list, under File Explorer. However, it does not include DD Go. Is there a way to get it there?

Reaction score
I don't understand, if you like DuckDuckGo as a search engine, why you don't just make it your home page or a second home page and then when you open your browser it will either default to opening it or it will produce a second tab.
Thanks. It is my default search engine in the omnibox of home page, but I have to go to Google to get it. I used to access it directly from my taskbar.

Reaction score
Solved my problem at last! Had to open IE, & put Duck Duck Go's URL in address bar. Then to Tools & Add site to Apps. From there, right click took me to More - then Add to Taskbar. Evidently IE allowed what Chrome would not.
Thanks to all the suggestions given to me above.

Ask a Question