Simple way to add icon to desktop to access favorite sites

Reaction score
I like to add an Icon to my desktop for sites that I frequently use. Now I only know how (when I am on the site that I want to add) by clicking the "Favorite" star at the top right of my screen that opens a new window where I can create a new folder which I name. Then I have to go to file explorer and search for the new folder that I created. When the search function finds the new file I click and drag the file to my desktop. Now my icon for this favorite site is on my desktop for use. This seems like a lot to do for this feature. There must be a simpler way to do this?

Reaction score
Drag and Drop from address bar to desktop. This will create a Internet shortcut the easiest and quickest way possible.

You can also right click desktop and create a new shortcut. Then paste the address for the Internet shortcut as the link.

Reaction score
Example :
I click open a website, say www.windows10forums.com > once I am in , right click inside the page > click Create shortcut > click Yes to confirm.
A desktop shortcut will be added to my desktop.

This is how the shortcut will look like on my desktop..................
desktop shortcut.jpg

Reaction score
Which browser are you using? Davidhk's suggestion will, I think, only work inside IE. With the browsers I use, Edge (as seldom as possible) Chrome and IE, , Cliffs tip works.

Reaction score
Example :
I click open a website, say www.windows10forums.com > once I am in , right click inside the page > click Create shortcut > click Yes to confirm.
A desktop shortcut will be added to my desktop.

This is how the shortcut will look like on my desktop..................
View attachment 1420
When I Right Click I get Select All, View source, Inspect Elements. I don't get Create Shortcut. HELP

Reaction score
Which browser are you using? Davidhk's suggestion will, I think, only work inside IE. With the browsers I use, Edge (as seldom as possible) Chrome and IE, , Cliffs tip works.
I think I am using IE but I don't know who to find out for sure?

Reaction score
Drag and Drop from address bar to desktop. This will create a Internet shortcut the easiest and quickest way possible.

You can also right click desktop and create a new shortcut. Then paste the address for the Internet shortcut as the link.
I can't seem to get your reply to work. I assume I have to click on the min/max in top of screen to make the display smaller so I can view the Desktop. Now I should drag and drop the address to the desktop, but I can't seem to do that. Can you be more explicit in instructions about where the address line is and how to drag and drop it. I'm not the sharpest stick in the pile.

Reaction score
On an attempt, after reading this thread, Cliffs tip does not work in Edge - Not mine, at least. Only way is as you have discovered in your first post.
Only other way is to create a shortcut on your desktop, and copy the address to the shortcut - very clumsy.

My preferred way is to use Chrome!

Reaction score
If you have the same picture as davidhk, click help and the first line will refer to IE. But I am sure you are using Edge.
One way I found more convenient, in Edge, was to click the icon top right (three dots) and selct "open with IE" After that you can follow the right click procedure. Still very clumsy.

Reaction score
He is NOT using IE.
Open the browser which you say you are using.Do you see this on your taskbar?????

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
OK.
Jerry, Which one do you see in your taskbar ?

The one on the left is Microsoft Edge, the one on the right is Internet Explorer.

browser icons.jpg

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sometimes Edge gets put on the taskbar by default as a product of the install. You may have to look for the little shiny underline, as in dave's and david's images to determine if it is actually open / being used.

Reaction score
You aint heard nothing yet!
Watch the requests for help pouring in after 2nd November. That will be when MS "fixes" all the bugs

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK this is insane, now I'm getting PM'd on how to do this.
It is simple, as Clifford has already said and davehc has corroborated grab the favicon in the address / url bar with your left mouse button and drag it to a blank space on your desktop and let go..... DONE!!!
I have tested this in
IE, Chrome, Firefox, and Safari, it works!!! PERIOD
It does not work in Microsoft EDGE nor in Opera (or at least I can't figure out how to make it work in either of those two).
I've included the incredibly difficult two step process that I recorded using the Native Problem Steps Recorder for anyone still having difficulty with this problem.

Attachments

• SiteShortCutToDesktop.zip
    193.5 KB · Views: 386

Ask a Question