HP Computer will not run a simple game

Reaction score
Hello everybody,
I have two computers in my home. One is a Dell Inspiron 17" laptop and the other is a HP 24" All-in-one.
I use the Dell, and my wife and grandchildren use the HP.
On my Dell computer I downloaded an old game called, "Bombermania". It runs well and the kids love it. So I downloaded it into the HP computer. It will not run. Message says something wromg with the .exe command. Both computers are running Windows 10.
Does anyone have any knowledge about this situation? I could use some help here because now the kids want to get on my Dell and I really don't want to be a ***hole and tell them, no.

Thank you
jrj350

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Do you have the full error message please - we'd need that to be able to know why it's failing. Once we've got that, it'll hopefully be a simple fix - I'm sure we can get it running again.

Reaction score
Also, with older games or programs it's important to know if the OS is 32-bit or 64-bit. I have an older Dell 17" Studio running the 32-bit version.

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies.

The error message states:

Bombermania.exe
Bombermania.exe has stopped working. A problem cased the program to stop working correctly.
Windows will close the program an notify you if a solution is available.

I am running the 64 bit latest update of Windows 10.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the error message - could you please check the event log and see if it gives any more information at the time of the crash, as I think we may be able to get a little more detail by looking there.
  • Right click the Start button and select "Event Viewer"
  • New Event Viewer window will popup.
  • On the Left hand side you can see Windows Logs.
  • Click on "Windows Logs".
  • Under Windows Log click on "Application".
  • Browse the list for the exact time that the crash occurred, and there will likely be an "error" (or "warning") message, corresponding to the crash.
If you could please copy/paste the text from the "General" and "Details" tabs for that event log entry, and it'll point us in the right direction :).

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
All though both PC's have windows 10, they are different manufacturers with different hardware specs. And the hardware for each has it's own set of rules (firmware) that will allow certain software/applications to run. Also that game was designed to work on OS Windows 95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP. In that respect, you're lucky you get it to work at all on windows 10.

What you could try on the HP PC is uninstall it/reinstall it and then run it in compatibility mode....if at all possible.

Reaction score
Here are the items I came up with. Hope they are helpful.
Capture1.PNG
Capture2.PNG
Capture3.PNG

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hmm, that isn't what I would have expected to see - are you sure that's the error entry for the game crash? If you could try loading the game again, then refresh the entries in that list and see if any more closely correspond to the game (perhaps by filename). If it is indeed the correct entry, could you please post the info of the other errors/warnings that happen at the same time please.

It's strange that the MSDTC service won't start (I'm guessing that is the error in this case). I would try the steps in this article, to see if it helps: https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/how-to-use-sfc-scannow.12/

I would also try running the game in compatibility mode as @bassfisher6522 suggested above, to see if that helps.

Ask a Question