SOLVED 'The windows wireless service is not running on this computer' issue

Reaction score
Hey all, happy new year!

After fairly large update today I keep losing my wifi connection (not tried wired as yet) but then when I right click on wifi logo in tray and troubleshoot is says 'The windows wireless service is not running on this computer'.

It then gives me the option to repair as administrator and that works for 20 minutes or so then I have to do it all again, aaaarrrrgggghhhhh!!!

Went into task manager and checked that WWS is set to automatic and it is

Any suggestions or fixes that anyone knows please?

Thanks

Paul

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It's set to Automatic, but....
Is it running?
Sometimes a third party program can take over control of your wireless device as it is intended to manage the network adapter and provided by the device manufacturer.
Have a look in device manager
Expand network adapters
Right click the problem wireless adapter and choose properties
Check the Power Management tab and make sure you uncheck this box

PowerMgmtTab.JPG

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
NOPE....
What wireless adapter are you having trouble with??
Integrated, add - on, USB Dongle???
Manufacturer's name, Model Name, Model Number?
Anything that might help, someone else who has similar hardware to suggest something?

Reaction score
Hey all, happy new year!

After fairly large update today I keep losing my wifi connection (not tried wired as yet) but then when I right click on wifi logo in tray and troubleshoot is says 'The windows wireless service is not running on this computer'.

It then gives me the option to repair as administrator and that works for 20 minutes or so then I have to do it all again, aaaarrrrgggghhhhh!!!

Any suggestions or fixes that anyone knows please?

Thanks

Paul

Hi

I've spent the past 3 days trying to rectify this issue.... What a fkn PAIN! Appears I picked up a Virus/Trojan that changed a few settings. One of them, the last one I've found is the answer to No WiFi access (red X).

The settings have been changed and one of them is in the Power Saving area. Check this out as this has fixed mine.

There was also something else I changed which had something to do with a code, can't remember exactly where it is but had a load of 0's and a 3 which I changed to a 2... (00000000200) don't quote this number, just a guess. There is a few relating to this so you should find it.

Good Luck!

Al

Ask a Question