SOLVED My card reader for sending photographs to my computer has stoped runing.

BML

Reaction score
I have had a Canon 300D camera for a few years and my Windows 10 computer for a year or so and whenever I wanted to download photos I took the SanDisc 256mb out of the camera, placed it into a “hama USB 2.0 Card Reader 9in1” and plugged it into a USB socket. It never opened automatically so I used to click onto the “This PC” icon and then clicked onto whichever USB Icon showed an indication of content.

I did this today and nothing happened so I tried a number of USBs carrying data and they all worked. I then tried the card reader with my laptop and it worked so there is no fault with the card reader although I have to say that still uses Windows 7.

In the meantime I thought that I would connect the Camera to my Windows 10 computer but there is no detail in my Canon instruction book so I wonder if anyone could point me towards where I may find some. Many thanks.

A person who helps me when I have computer problems said that it might be a driver issue and he suggested I open Device Manager while the card reader is plugged in, find the card reader in the devices list, right click on it and select uninstall device. Restart the computer and see if the card reader then works, this should trigger the device driver to be re-installed and this is what I found.

upload_2017-7-10_23-19-59.png

The computer person said. “Technically it's all of the top 8 devices but uninstalling the first one will probably have the desired effect, you could do them one by one if doing the first one doesn't do it.”

I replied that I had looked at the list and the thought of deleting any worried me so I'm stuck. I just had another thought which is having been reading a computer magazine about the importance of keeping Windows 10 up to date I checked mine last Saturday and uploaded a load that I thought were supposed o come automatically so I wonder if any of them would have made a change to my ability to use a card reader.

BML

Reaction score
Many thanks for your reply.
In answer to your question, “do you have the latest version of W10 installed?:” I do not know so could you please tell me how to check. What I do know is that I did what I thought was an update Sunday 9thJuly and so assumed that I do have the latest version of W10.

As to, “Did you have the SD card in a different computer and did you remove it safely?:” The SD card was in my camera until I removed it and placed it in my Card Reader.

I have to say that I’m a trifled worried about using, “reimageplus.com/Windows_Update” Is there a direct way of updating via Microsoft?

Reaction score
It seems like your card reader is installed correctly. If you open the file manager (Windows Explorer) you should see the CF-card as " EOS_DIGITAL "

2017-07-11_063628.jpg

Reaction score
In answer to your question, “do you have the latest version of W10 installed?:” I do not know so could you please tell me how to check.
Hi BML,

please read through the link I posted above, it takes you through the upgrade process step by step. :)

BML

Reaction score
I have done everything advised and the Card Reader will still not work or show anywhere on the computer.

Reaction score
What anti-virus app do you have installed?, that might be blocking it?. ;)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Without you SD card attached and if you card reader is USB connected, disconnect that as well.
Open Device Manager
Use the menu bar to select "View" -> "Show hidden devices"
IF it doesn't automatically, expand "Disk Drives" as well as "Portable Devices"
Remove all faded entries in each category
Typically I just use my mouse to select and a finger on the delete key and one on the enter key
After you clean that up, reboot your system and connect your SD card and see if that produces any different results.

BML

Reaction score
I did that and removed about five items. Tomorrow I'm going to buy another Card Reader and see what happens when I plug it in because maybe I should have mentioned it but the Card Reader never prompted an automatic open and I had to open up the "This PC2" icon to get action.

BML

Reaction score
Do you think that this gives an answer?

Thank you for contacting Canon Technical Service & Support. With reference to your enquiry concerning your EOS 300D, please see the information below.
When older EOS cameras are connected to newer Operating Systems (OS), communication problems may occur. In this case, it refers to a compatibility problem. This camera model is not (fully) supported by the new Operating System. Technology advancing since the launch of this camera model is the cause for this problem to occur.
To have (limited) communication going, please switch the camera off and disconnect it from the computer. When disconnected, please switch it back on and set your cameras communication setting according to the steps listed below:
  1. Set the Mode Dial on top to either Av or Tv,
  2. Press [MENU],
  3. Refer to the last Set-up tab, indicated with hammer and spanner (yellow)
  4. Going down the list select [COMMUNICATION] by pressing <SET>,
  5. Select [PTP] by pressing <SET>,
  6. Press [MENU] to leave the menu,
Selecting the PTP protocol, does have a side effect. Communication with your computer is possible, though it will be limited. Should you want to use the Canon software, some options will be greyed out and thus be unavailable to use.
  • The PTP protocol will allow you to have basic communication only between camera and computer to transfer images,
  • The PC connection setting is required for enabling transferring via Camera Window or Remote Control through EOS Utility. Since the cameras PC Connection is no longer supported by the newer OS, all depending controls will not be available.
We hope that the above information is helpful. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That looks like a pretty good explanation for connecting your "camera" to your computer and using windows explorer to move files between the two.

It does not explain why removing the SD card from your camera and placing it into a card reader is exhibiting the symptoms you have described.
I assume you have checked your AutoPlay settings and confirmed that everything is correct there

Capture1.PNG

BML

Reaction score
Auto Play was on and your right, Canon did not explain why the card reader will not communicate. I just tried a couple of USB Memory sticks and both opened automatically when I inserted them into a USB point. As I wrote above, I will buy a new Card Reader tomorrow and try that out although thinking back I did try the one in question on my Laptop and it worked there.

Reaction score
The EOS 300D will not work with Windows 10 unless setup like above. After that one will be able to access the camera through the Windows Explorer (btw: thanks for the explanation from Canon). I still use the EOS300 but mostly the EOS 600 (or known as T3i). I simply love Canon cameras...

BML

Reaction score
Grizzly, I have gone through the procedure above but all it does is to enable me to connect the EOS to the computer by cable which is great as far as it goes but it doesn't enable the card reader.

BML

Reaction score
This a copy of a message I sent in reply to hamas. Many thanks for taking an interest in my problem, I have no idea where I bought the item or when so I can't go to them. I did find a Hamas replacement CF Card Reader on the Curries/PCWorld Website but they are charging £9.99 shipping and although I can afford it I have no intention of encouraging their greediness so I will look elsewhere.
As it is I suspect that the problem of communication between the CF Card Reader and my Desktop Computer which is Windows 10 is not down to the CF Card Reader because I tried it out on my Laptop which is Windows 7 and it worked with that.
This lead me to believe that Microsoft have done something to Windows 10 that makes in not possible for the CF Card Reader able to communicate with my Desktop Windows 10 computer. If I am correct the only way forward for me will be to either download photographs using a cable which although slower than using a CF Card Reader does work or buy a new more modern camera which I have been told all have much smaller Card Readers than my now elderly Canon EOS 300D but that seems rather wasteful but I'm in no hurry. Anyway, yet again, many thanks for your help.
And many thanks to all those on the forum who spent a lot of time offering help.

BML

Reaction score
Today I received a "hama USB 2.0 Multi Card Reader SD/microSD/CF/Memory stick/xDCard" which I ordered as my hama USB 2.0 Card Reader 9in1 failed to work on my Windows 10 computer although it would work on my Windows 7 Laptop.
The new hama works perfectly with the same CF card from the same Canon EOS 300D yet I assumed that the Windows 10 computer had refused to work with my elderly Canon EOS 300D. So, is there something different with the new hama or what. I'm glad that it does work but I really would like to have discovered what the problem was.

Ask a Question