SOLVED Added Accounts

Reaction score
I'm thinking of adding a family member as a second (admin) account to my computer. I have a number of questions, including:

1 - how can the new user run programs I have previously intalled (like Word, Firefox), and if so can they access files on "my "side?

2 - can I use File Explorer to drag (eg) icons from my desktop to theirs?

3 - I assume their logon details will be requested on the same boot screen as mine currently.

Excuse these basic questions - though an experienced user, I haven't tried this before!

Any tips, tricks or links to tutorials would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!

Regedit32

Reaction score
1. Yes, when their profile is created it will be able to use the applications you installed using your profile.

2. Yes you can, but there is something to consider if doing this:
  • When signed in with your profile, open File Explorer, and navigate to your Desktop
  • Next, right-clickon File Explorer icon on your taskbar and select File Explorer, to open a second instance of File Explorer.
    • In this second instance of File explorer, navigate to C:\Users and open your family members User folder

Note: You'll be prompted to click Continue to grant full access to this folder

• Once you are inside your family members User folder, navigate to their Desktop
    • Now press windows key + right arrow key ( > )
    • Select the first instance of File explorer and press windows key + left arrow key ( < )

You'll now have both instances of file explorer on screen, with your Desktop on left side, and theirs on right side.

At this point you can drag files or documents from your Desktop to theirs.

Note: If you drag the file to their Desktop, this will remove it from your own Desktop. Thus, if you need to keep a copy of the file on your own Desktop too, then you should right-click the file and select copy, then click on your family members Desktop ( in the second instance of file explorer [ right side ] ) and select paste.
3. You assume correctly! Once you add another account, that accounts User name will appear on the sign-in screen along with your own. That means when either of you start computer, you need to select the Username belonging to your account, then enter the password or pin ( if you have set up pin access ) to sign-in.

Suggestions for security and ease of access:
  • Making your Family member a Member of the Administrators Group, means that with that single step of clicking Continue when using File Explorer to navigate into the C:\Users\ [ someone else's User account ], they have full access to your personal files, browser history and so forth. It also means they can modify your account and settings ( including removing it, or changing its password ). That is not ideal, unless you are 100% confident you trust them with having these powers.
  • The other issue with them having Administrator access, means if, while using computer they accidently are infected with a virus, that virus will have access to your personal account too. If you grant then Local Access only, instead of making them a member of the Administrator Group, should they get a virus, it will only affect their account.
  • The other advantage of making their account Local, would mean, they could only open your User account directory, via File Explorer, by providing your password or pin. That is more secure in my opinion.
  • If you make their account Local, you can still drag, or copy & paste files from your Desktop to theirs; they on the other hand would need your password to do the same, or you could access them yourself, by signing in to your account then navigating to their op or User account and copying the files to your account.
  • Finally, if you set up both your account and theirs, to be Sign-in using Microsoft account, then both of you could share documents and files via OneDrive ( Microsoft's cloud service ). That means you can keep your account as belonging to Administrator Group, and theirs as a Local only ( but with a Microsoft account sign-in ), which in my view is more secure, but allows that option to easily share files without the need to copy & paste, or drag files, via File Explorer.

Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question