SOLVED Administration Permissions

Reaction score
Hello. The other day I did some updates on my Windows 10 Laptop that came from HP. They were mostly chipset updates and a bios update but nothing to do with software at all. I don't know if it's related but today I am pretty much unable to do anything with admin permission and I am the admin. If I try to delete a file it tells me that I need admin permission but then I hit continue and it deletes the file. Something else I noticed is that I can not save a download file now to my desktop. I can download to other places but not the desktop. I have been to the user control panel and I am the admin so I don't know what happened or how to correct it.

Thank you for any help.

Reaction score
Hi Cobalt1254,

you could try adding another user and then make them "Admin", after logging in to the new user, try downloading and see if you still have the same problem.

MAKE SURE YOU MAKE A COPY OF ALL YOUR IMPORTANT FILES (PICS, DOCS ETC) BEFORE YOU START. SAVE EVERYTHING TO A USB STICK OR OTHER STORAGE DEVICE!. :)

Reaction score
Hi Cobalt1254,

you could try adding another user and then make them "Admin", after logging in to the new user, try downloading and see if you still have the same problem.

MAKE SURE YOU MAKE A COPY OF ALL YOUR IMPORTANT FILES (PICS, DOCS ETC) BEFORE YOU START. SAVE EVERYTHING TO A USB STICK OR OTHER STORAGE DEVICE!. :)

Thanks. I did create two new accounts and even though they were not admin it let me delete and download to where I wanted to without any boxes popping up. The problem with new accounts is it is like starting over. None of my stuff is there. What I did notice and this seems odd to me is that when I went to users with my main account to delete the new accounts it did not give me the option even though I am admin. I logged on with one of the new accounts and it let me delete the other account. I have an account that I can't delete because i dont see the option from my main account? Odd I guess. Guess I have to live with it for now. Thank You.

Reaction score
Let us know if you need any further help. :)

I am just going to live with it for now. I do have an image of my SS drive that I made about a day before this issue happened and I was going to go back to that but when it came to the part of installing it I chickened out. This is 2020 and what can go wrong will so it's not use tempting fate. Thanks for trying to help.

Reaction score
Hard to believe I fixed it but I did. I noticed another annoying problem this morning. When I right click the desktop and then choose new it would let me have a choice of things to open like notepad but now the only choice it gave me was new folder and nothing else! I created a folder and then tried to rename it made me click on get admin permission to rename it. I then tried to delete the folder and same thing happened. I then right clicked on the folder and then security. It then showed me permissions. The admin account had permission and the system account had permissions. There is a third account called everyone and then account only had limited permission. When I changed that to full then all my issues are gone and even the right click menu is correct now. The odd thing is that I am logged onto my account called Joe but there was no Joe account up there, only "everyone". Anyway it's fixed!

Reaction score
Glad to hear it, please mark the thread as solved so it helps others. :)

Ask a Question