Administration Accounts Password

Reaction score
Cannot delete old user account that was enter by past user. Opened up new account administer forgot to put password. How will I put in password

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Thomas,

Welcome to the Forum.

• Log in to your new User account that you say belongs to Administrative group.
  • Press Windows Key + S
  • In the search field type command
  • In the search results right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator
  • A UAC prompt will appear. Click Yes
  • Now in the Administrator: Command Prompt console type or copy & paste the following:
Code:
net user Administrator /active:yes

Press Enter key

The above enables the built-in Administrator which will now appear as another option on your Logon page.

At the moment it does not require a password, but if you would like to set a password for it then type or copy & paste the following into the Administrator: Command Prompt console:

Code:
net user Administrator *

Press Enter key

You'll now be prompted to enter a password for Administrator. Enter what you want then press Enter key

You'll be prompted to re-type the password. Re-type it then press Enter key.

The password is now set for the built-in Administrator account.

Type exit and press Enter key to close the Administrator: Command Prompt console.​

• Now left-click on Start and then left-click the third icon up [The Account icon] then click Sign out
  • This will take you back to the logon page. Select the Administrator account and sign-in using the password you set. If you did not set a password just press enter to sign-in.
  • You'll need to wait a moment as Windows does it Hi, We're just setting up a few things messages, but after a minute or so you'll be signed in to a Desktop as the built-in Administrator
  • Now in the search field type command and in the search results right-click on Command Prompt and select run as administrator
  • If the UAC prompts you then click Yes
  • Now in the Administrator: Command Prompt console type:
Code:
net user

Press Enter key

This will list the Usernames / Accounts. Note the one you wish to assign a password to and type:

Code:
net user Username_you_want_to_give_password_to

For example:  net user Thomas

Press Enter key

Now type the same command again but add the asterisk to command: For example: net user Thomas *

You'll be prompted to type a password. Enter what you like, then press Enter key

You'll be prompted to re-type the password. Re-type it then press Enter key

While you are here, if there is an account you no longer want you you can delete it by entering the following command:

Code:
net user Thomas /delete

Obviously: Replace Thomas with the name of account you want to delete!

Press Enter key

When you have done all you want, you can remove the built-in Administrator account by typing:

Code:
net user Administrator /active:no

Press Enter key

Now just sign-out and sign in to your usual account.

Reaction score
Regedit32..Hi this is Ron. I am the one we are trying to remove.. I have tried signing out and that does work. But when Tom tries to sign in he has no password..

In User Accounts are two (2) account mine and Tom's.

Mine was the Admin. I changed it to standard, and made Tom's account Admin. but forgot to enter a password..

For some reason it will not allow me to remove my account, I have tried signing out of my microsoft account, I have even removed this account from my microsoft account, still can not get it removed..

On sign in there are two names for sign in, my name is on top and Tom's on the bottom.

When we click on Tom and it opens, it requires a password, which we don't have one setup in the account.. So we sign in using my account..

Ask a Question