Missing User Accounts

Reaction score
I changed the computer name, created a new account and deleted an old one. Now when I go to "Accounts" in "Settings", there is no "User Accounts" and a search does not find it (see attached file - Screen 1.pdf). I found this missing when I tried to make a password recovery disc for the new account.
When I look in C:User (see attached file - Screen.pdf) there are users I do not recognise - Default, Default. Migrated and User. The only users that show up on my system that I have access to are Peter and Administrator (which seems to be a local user).
How do I restore "User Accounts" and completely delete the rogue accounts?

Attachments

• Screen.pdf
    207.4 KB · Views: 416
  • Screen 1.pdf
    236 KB · Views: 374

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi machar,

Welcome to the Forum.

The Default directory is supposed to be there. It contains the templates to create a new user account. It appears dimmed in your PDF because this is a System Protected directory.

The Public directory is also supposed to be there. This is where multiple users on a PC can share files or documents with each other.

The Default.migrated normally appears after upgrading the operation system. For example if you upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10, but this may occur if you upgraded from an early build of Windows 10 to, for example, the current Fall update. This directory contains User settings from the earlier edition of Windows.

I am not sure what the C:\Users\User folder is. Hopefully someone else knows what this is.
  • If you ever used Windows 7 you may recall there was an C:\Users\All Users folder. Possibly, this is a variation of that, although I am unsure as the Public folder is the Windows 10 equivalent.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
on occasion one might find also a folder C:\users\defaultuser0 which I have on some of my systems. In addition to that there may be a "Guest" user as well if activated.
Regedit32, I am thinking the folder "C:\Users\User" may be his current user account.
Not to hijack this thread but do you think the "defaultuser0" can be deleted without consequences??

Regedit32

Reaction score
Not to hijack this thread but do you think the "defaultuser0" can be deleted without consequences??

Hi Grizzly,

There is a known bug in some builds of Windows 10 which results in the defaultuser0 or defaultuser() account being created. Neither of these accounts belongs to Local or Administrative groups so its perfectly safe to delete it.

Some Users have reported that it does not show up in the User Accounts GUI, which is where one would normally select it and choose to delete it. In that scenario you can use the Command Prompt (Admin) instead and simply type net user defaultuser0 /delete then press Enter key, or net user defaultuser() /delete then press Enter key.

Having said that, because it is a bug, if you at some point roll back or reset your OS, there is a chance it may return. To reduce the chance of this requires the deletion of the Defaultuser0 or Default user() from the ProfileList located in the Registry as a sub-hive:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

You need to be cautious here to only delete the sub-hive whose ProfileImagePath points to either the Defaultuser0 or Defaultuser() account.

Reaction score
Thanks for the Info. I just checked the latest install and it does not have the account in question. gonna start some previous installs...

Reaction score
I still haven't found out how to get the missing "user accounts" back. User was the user I deleted.

Ask a Question