Win 10 some user folders properties missing location tab

Reaction score
New laptop...Win 10 has 2 drives... SSD drive (C:) and a SATA drive(E)...
I want to change the locations of Desktop, Favorites, Documents, Music, Pictures etc to the SATA drive...
For more storage space...

Settings > System > Storage only has Apps, Documents, Music, Photos, Videos available to move...

In User Profile > Documents, Downloads, Music have the Location tab and I have correctly pointed these 3 to E:\...

But Desktop, Favorites does NOT have a Location tab...

Was this overlooked by Msoft...???...is there a fix...???...Regedit maybe...???

I have way too much stuff to put everything on the C:\ drive...

Any and all suggestions appreciated...

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Steve,

Welcome to the Forum.

I took a look at my own User Profile folders; all of which have location tabs.

Are you referring to these or those found in the Default folder (of which none ought to have location tabs).

So far as locations go there are two locations in the Registry where that information would be stored:
  • Code:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
  • Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

You'll need to note that the User Shell Folder contents take precedence over the Shell folder contents. Also the Current User locations take precedence over the Local Machine's locations; although theoretically these ought to be identical unless you are running behind a Domain.

More information about that here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc962613.aspx

Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question