'User' still there but default settings/files 'missing' when login (and other probs!)

Reaction score
Hi All
I hope someone can help with this nightmare problem in Windows 10.
I have an Acer (Intel Pentium Windows 10, 64-bit) computer which I bought a few months ago, and created one 'user' (my name - say John)
Suddenly this week when I logged in (as John) the only items on the desktop were the default programs installed with the computer; all my files were gone. When opening the browser, or windows media player, all my custom settings were gone and it was as if the programs were being used for the first time. The default program used to open files (e.g. the original program instead of windows media player) had all reverted also.
The start button was/is also not working.
After a panic, I then discovered my files are still there and accessible - to do so I have to right-click on one of the programmes on desktop and 'open file location' then I can use the left column to (through windows explorer) get to C drive then 'Users' then 'John' and I can access everything that way.
Also, the keyboard settings have bizarrely changed ie shift + 2 gives the @ sign instead of quotation mark.
I have Norton which suggests no virus involved.
I didn't have system restore activated.
When computer starts it says press DEL to enter setup but nothing happens when I press it.
Is this hopeless or is there anyway to fix this without doing a reset?
Thankyou to anyone who can help

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
the keyboard settings have bizarrely changed ie shift + 2 gives the @ sign instead of quotation mark.
That sounds to me like your keyboard layout has been switch to U.S rather than U.K.
I don't know if that might be causing your other issues, but you might start there.
IF you can use Ctrl + Alt + Delete keyboard combination to launch Task Manager, then use the "File" from the menu bar and Run new task to type Control Panel and hit enter or click OK.
Check language, keyboard and region to confirm things are set properly.

Ask a Question