SOLVED "Administrator Permission" needed to save photos/files to own folders - solution

Reaction score
Once it was my turn to gain the free Windows 10 installation I went straight ahead and everything went well except when I went to save a photo to My Photos. Windows 10 began repeatedly asking for "administrator permission" to save to my OWN folders on my OWN laptop. My PC was not in a Homegroup, neither was it in a network of other PC's....I WAS the administrator!
If you encounter this problem (and many will) you may want to try my solution which after exhausting all other avenues including disabling inheritance and mucking about with Permissions, this does indeed work.
Windows 10 and Microsoft seem to think all PC's are networked (they are not) and so the solution is to join the Homegroup with yourself as the only member, that way you become "administrator" and gain back control of your files.

Start menu (bottom left) - type "Homegroup" in search box and then click on "settings" - click "Homegroup" - then follow instructions to set up a new Homegroup and make a note of the password it generates. Chose what folders to 'share' or not and then you will become homegroup administrator with full permissions.

Reaction score
Be careful folks. There's a whole bunch of posts on the net about how to get rid of a persistently annoying homegroup icon on desktop. I remember this because I had a problem with it.

Ask a Question