An issue with user accounts on my computer

Reaction score
I recently had Windows 10 installed on my computer. I did not bother to set up a password-protected Windows account that would have required me to sign in to use my computer.
When I came home today I wanted to use my computer and found that my daughter had created a Windows account for herself on my computer. The problem I have now is this:

I can only access my own files and bookmarks if I go through her account. It seems (I'm guessing here) that she unintentionally has taken control of the main account that is automatically created during the Windows installation. In fact her account status was "Administrator". (It appears she created her account and became the administrator because she wanted to install some game on the computer.)

I have now created my own account - but by going through it I cannot access my files and bookmarks. I changed my daughter's account status from "Administrator" to "User" and made myself the administrator, but this did not let me access my files and bookmarks.

How do I get access to my files and bookmarks without having to go through my daughter's account?
If I just delete her account I'm afraid I will be deleting my files and bookmarks.
I don't mind my daughter having her own account, I just don't want to have to go through her account to access my stuff.

Thank you very much for your help!

Last edited:
Reaction score
When you bootup, and at the login page, are you not given two choices to login?

Reaction score
Thank you David for your reply.
I'm given two choices at login: I can log in as my daughter, and then I can use my own files and bookmarks (like in the old times).
Or I can log into the account that I created for myself after my daughter created her own account - but by going through this account (my own new account) I cannot access my own files and bookmarks.

If all my daughter had done (in my absence) was to create a new account for herself, then why does she have access through her account to my files and bookmarks? That is why I speculated that she unintentionally took control of the administrator account that is automatically created when Windows is installed.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I understand your predicament.

Another member may be able to help you. Please do not misunderstand. I do not distrust, or not believe, your problem, but cannot assist you, as the problem appears to be with your daughter's login.
Without help, from another member, I would suggest you chat with your daughter.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, I do know my daughter's login information.

Just to review the chronology of events:
1. I never had access to what is on my computer protected by a password.
2. Then my daughter wanted to download some version of Candy Crush. She was told that she needs to have a Microsoft account. So she created herself one. As a result, when I want to access my files, pictures, bookmarks, etc., I can do this only by going through her account.
I looked at the Welcome e-mail that Microsoft send her after she had created her account. It says:
Hi [her first name],

Welcome to your family! As an adult, you’ll be able to approve requests, change kids’ safety settings, and get weekly activity reports.

The irony is that she is the kid, and I am the adult.

After some searching around for information, it seems to me that, after having changed the status of her account to "User" and having set myself up as administrator, I can delete her account while having the content of the following folder saved: Desktop, Documents, Favorites, Music Pictures and Videos.

Well, I'll be doing that after I have backed up everything to an external hard drive, just to have full peace of mind.

Ask a Question