User Logon Issue

Reaction score
Deployed new Windows 10 workstation to user and since that deployment she receives a invalid username or password when trying to logon with a domain account every AM. If she calls the Help Desk and I remote control her PC and have her try again with me connected and she logs right in using the same password. The other work around it is if she has another user come and logon to the PC. After they logon and back off, she can logon just fine using the same password. Another work around I found today was booting up from powered down state and she gets the invalid username or password message. At that point if she initiates a restart from the logon screen she is able to logon after it restarts.

I have had her try on another workstation right away in the AM and she can logon fine. Which tends to point at her workstation being the issue. But others can walk up to her station in the AM and logon without issues, which then points to her user account.

We have reloaded the workstation from scratch. I have deleted and recreated her profile multiple times, but we still see this problem. Not sure what even to try at this point.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Not sure what even to try at this point.
Me either, but.....
It sounds like a timing thing
If she calls the Help Desk and I remote control her PC and have her try again with me connected and she logs right in using the same password.
if she has another user come and logon to the PC. After they logon and back off, she can logon just fine using the same password.
if she initiates a restart from the logon screen she is able to logon after it restarts.
Like the network is not available until the minute or two she takes to do one or all of the above has lapsed.
There is a GPO (both local and domain) "Always wait for network at computer startup and logon" which is suppose to disable the Fast Logon Optimization feature which might help.
Additionally you might try checking her IP version 4 properties on her network adapter and confirm that for DNS (name resolution) it's pointed at your Domain DNS server and only your Domain DNS server (preferred and no alternate (set in manually and see if that helps).

Reaction score
I thought it was a timing thing as well. I asked her if she had tried waiting and she had gone and done other tasks for 10-15 minutes and come back and still could not logon. Also it seemed weird that she would be getting a Invalid username/password if there were no network connection. Also I would think that since she has successfully logged onto the workstation in the past it would logon with her cached credentials if there were no network available.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Doesn't make sense.
Especially if another domain user can sit down at her workstation and from a cold boot does not suffer the same problem.
Have her try using her fully qualified domain credentials
(e-mail address removed) and her password for that account and see if that makes any difference at all.

Ask a Question