SOLVED Unable map network drive on PC. Logon failure the user has not been granted access

Reaction score
I have two PCs running windows 10, connected to the same network. The first PC has two drives. C:\ drive and S:\ drive: Under properties for the S:\ drive I have selected Share tab -> Advanced sharing -> check "Share this folder". Windows then says that the path of the shared drive is \\MyPC1\S

When I try to map the S:\ drive on second PC i'm uanbles to connect. I get the following warning

"Logon failure; the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer"

This is quite weird, because.
1.) It worked fine before updating to windows 10. I was running 8.1 on both machines
2.) The second PC also has a second drive. Let's call it P:\. When I try to mount \\MyPC2\P on the first PC there is absolutely no problem and it work like a charm.

So what fucked up setting, has magically been applied on PC1 and not PC2 during the update?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Likely a user account name and password with the proper access permissions exist on one and does not exist on the other.
OR you may have an issue with corrupt credentials, check credential manager in control panel and edit or delete the credentials associated with the computer you are having the issue with.
Use
MachineName\UserName
when prompted for authentication credentials.
MyPC1\UserName on MyPC1 who has proper permissions to the shared resources and that user's password.

Reaction score
Likely a user account name and password with the proper access permissions exist on one and does not exist on the other.
OR you may have an issue with corrupt credentials, check credential manager in control panel and edit or delete the credentials associated with the computer you are having the issue with.
Use
MachineName\UserName
when prompted for authentication credentials.
MyPC1\UserName on MyPC1 who has proper permissions to the shared resources and that user's password.

It was some old credentials in the Credential Manager, that caused the problem. Windows simply tried to access the shared folder with some old login-information

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thank you for the follow-up. Glad you were able to resolve your issue.

Ask a Question