SOLVED Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18990

Reaction score
Hello Windows Insiders, today we’re releasing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18990 (20H1) to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Got it today. Thanks for the heads-up.

Capture.PNG

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I must say that this particular feature looks interesting and might prove beneficial to a lot of people with limited tech skills to get their systems back up and running again.

Not sure that I personally would ever use it as I prefer to rely on my own images for such recovery tasks, but....
The fact that it is even available on an un-bootable machine through the Recovery Environment is pretty great.

Reaction score
18990 has major flaw! Like a fool I assumed it would be ok and burned most of my bridges back to the previous version and also made copies on my best 2 backup drives. Tried Windows Update to see what was available and it was no longer on my machine! Also Settings was missing. Fortunately my 3rd backup drive still had the previous version which I am using now.

Reaction score
18990 has major flaw!
Any chance you would share with the group? If I remember, you have had a series of problems with these builds. If it is an install problem, it would be nice if you would try the link below. It needs the logs that were created during a failed upgrade attempt. It may work for a clean install, but not sure.

Reaction score
The install was slow but no problem and works except for not having Windows Update or Settings. I have them in the Life at a glace area. They were missing in 18990 and I could not get them to work in the left part either.

Reaction score
I installed 18990 to another hard drive after cloning it to 18985. Install was slow but completed ok but same error. could not find a way to open Settings or Update. I will stay at 18985 until something better come along

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
18990 has major flaw! Like a fool I assumed it would be ok and burned most of my bridges back to the previous version and also made copies on my best 2 backup drives. Tried Windows Update to see what was available and it was no longer on my machine! Also Settings was missing. Fortunately my 3rd backup drive still had the previous version which I am using now.
Well at least they've seen fit to include your issue among the known issues in this build.... which I guess is something.
Starting with the previous flight, some Insiders may find that Settings doesn’t launch from the button in Start, isn’t listed in the All apps list, or as a search result. If you are impacted, pressing WIN+R and inputting “ms-settings:” (without the quotes) will launch Settings if you need it.
SOURCE: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...ider-preview-build-18995/#jPX1r8VCvHzJBZZQ.97

Reaction score
I think I found the cause. I use Macrium to clone to my backup drives. Macrium does not do a sector by sector copy but instead copies the data without extra space used. I wondered why my C partition clone was smaller than the source. I thought this was a great way to defrag and gain some extra free space. I wondered what would happen if I did a reverse clone back to the original source drive. Worked great but updates did not work correctly after this. I am afraid to try any more updates as long as Microsoft uses their current system.

Reaction score
When you clone a drive with Macrium, it has in the past, set your system up where the path to the WimMount.sys file is incorrect and the file itself may be missing from the Windows\System32 folder.

Check the registry below to see if yours looks like the attachment.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WIMMount

Winmount2.JPG

Ask a Question