ANNOYING POP-UP

DCS

Reaction score
Every so often I have a pop--up. There's a black box about 3" x 3" with a message
"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CMD.ex2"
And a blue box with a message
"THIS APP CAN'T RUN ON YOUR PC.
To find a version for your PC check with your software publisher. " All this when I haven't even loaded anything or opened any docs.
I'm pretty hopeless with techie stuff and I can't reproduce the pop-ups because it doesn't respond to right-click mouse operations. Till now I've been deleting the pop-ups, (maybe last 2 years, maybe longer), but now that my pc has aged it takes that much longer to respond to deletions.
Is there a serious problem with the software? My pc came with the dreadful Win 8 but I later updated to Win10 with auto updates.
I'm not sure I even understand what all this means. So be gentle.

Reaction score
To begin with, it is a mis spelling. Either by accident or design from an earlier spam.

One step at a time:
Open the system 32 and find the file (CMD.Ex2)
At the same time, see if you have a file there called cmd.exe (You should have)
If not, then rename the odd one Cmd.exe, . Alternatively, if the correct file is there, rename Cmd.ex2 as cmd.bak
That should be enough for the problem to go away.

DCS

Reaction score
To begin with, it is a mis spelling. Either by accident or design from an earlier spam.

One step at a time:
Open the system 32 and find the file (CMD.Ex2)
At the same time, see if you have a file there called cmd.exe (You should have)
If not, then rename the odd one Cmd.exe, . Alternatively, if the correct file is there, rename Cmd.ex2 as cmd.bak
That should be enough for the problem to go away.
Hi DaveHC, Is there a step-by-step guide to opening up System 32? Do you just overwrite when renaming? Sorry. You're talking to a complete nitwit where techie stuff is concerned. Many thanks for your patience.

Reaction score
open file explorer
open windows
scroll down and open system32
scroll through the listband find the file cmd.ex2

yes. Delete the 2 and type in e and enter

DCS

Reaction score
open file explorer
open windows
scroll down and open system32
scroll through the listband find the file cmd.ex2

yes. Delete the 2 and type in e and enter
Many thanks for this. When I went in, I found there was no "cmd.ex2" , just "cmd.exe".
I just had the pop-up again and realised I had made a typo. It's actually "cmd.exe". But the pop-up message keeps appearing. Square 1, again.

Reaction score
I’ m still with you , just thinking!
You have a program, maybe spam, running, which is causing this.
can you make a note to see if you are running any particular program when this happens.?

I appreciate the difficulty for you, but it would help if you somehow copy the contents of your startup panel -:

right click the taskbar, then select the task manager. On the top bar is a tab “startup”

DCS

Reaction score
I’ m still with you , just thinking!
You have a program, maybe spam, running, which is causing this.
can you make a note to see if you are running any particular program when this happens.?

I appreciate the difficulty for you, but it would help if you somehow copy the contents of your startup panel -:

right click the taskbar, then select the task manager. On the top bar is a tab “startup”
OK. The pop-up is throughout. When I'm browsing, reading emails, listening to music, soon after I switch on.
I finally located the "startup". Is there a knack of copying the contents or do I do it the hard way; type everything out?

DCS

Reaction score
OK. The pop-up is throughout. When I'm browsing, reading emails, listening to music, soon after I switch on.
I finally located the "startup". Is there a knack of copying the contents or do I do it the hard way; type everything out?
Couldn't print-screen.

Reaction score
Easiest is to use the snipping tool. But Keep this page open - Hold down the left mouse key, underline all of the startup items release the key and press the right key. It will give you an option to copy. Do that, come on to this page , point ay the next posting section )below),right click again and paste.

DCS

Reaction score
Startup

NAME
Easiest is to use the snipping tool. But Keep this page open - Hold down the left mouse key, underline all of the startup items release the key and press the right key. It will give you an option to copy. Do that, come on to this page , point ay the next posting section )below),right click again and paste.

PUBLISHER STATUS STARTUP IMPACT

AMAZON MUSIC AMAZON SERVICES DISABLED NONE

AMAZON MUSIC HELPER AMAZON SERVICES ENABLED NOT MEASURED

CORTANA MS CORP DISABLED NONE

CYBERLINK MEDIAL LIBRARY SERVICE CYBERLINK DIS NONE

DATA COLLECTIONAGENT CONTROLLER SEIKO EPSON CORP ENABLED NOT MEARURED

DELAYED LAUNCHER INTEL CORP ENABLED NOT MEASURED

EPSON EVENT MANAGER SEIKO EPSON CORP ENAB NOT MEAS

EPSON PRINTER CONNECTION CHECKER SEIKO EPSON CORP ENAB NOT MEAS

EPSON STATUS MONITOR 3 SEIKO EPSON CORP ENAB NOT MEAS

EPSON STATUS MONITOR 3 SEIKO EPSON CORP ENAB NOT MEAS

EPSON STATUS MONITOR 3 SEIKO EPSON CORP DISABLED NONE

JAVA UPDATE SCHEDULER ORACLE CORP DIS NONE

MS EDGE MS CORP ENABLED NOT MEAS

MS OFFICE2010 MS CORP ENAB NOT MEAS

MS ONE DRIVE MS CORP ENABLED NOT MEAS

MULTISCREEN APPLICATION ------- ENABLED NOT MEAS

NCPRO SAMSUNG ENABLED NOT MEAS

PICON STARTUP UTILITY INTEL CORP ENABLED NOT MEAS

POWER DVD RC SERVICE CYBERLINK GROUP ENABLED NOT MEAS

SEAGATE DASHBOARD SEAGATE TECH LLC DISABLED NONE

SKYPE SKYPE DISABLED NONE

SPOTIFY SPOTIFY LTD DISABLED NONE

VPROTECT ------- DISABLED NONE

WINDOWS SECURITY NOTIFICATION ICON MS GROUP ENABLED NOT MEASURED

Tried to do what you suggested but couldn't ; so typed everything out in Word. Only when I copied and pasted all the tabbed spaces disappeared. But that is it. I have abbreviated some bits so let me know what isn't clear, Dave.
PS I'm David.

Ask a Question