SOLVED Audio driver for HP Compaq dc5750, BIOS V02.29 2007-08-14

Reaction score
I need help getting a speaker to work on my desktop. A driver is installed, but no audio comes out.

I have two desktops almost identical, both running Windows 10 installed at the same time. At installation, both speakers worked. But on one machine I inadvertently "uninstalled" the audio device itself. Attempts to re-install produced a device named "High Definition Audio Device". A driver is installed for that AND for a system speaker. Attempts at updating the driver show that the current driver is the latest available. I get no sound out of the onboard speaker, nor from any headphones. The HP site has no drivers for Windows 10 x64. The Win 10 Sound page shows that no audio device has been found.

I have been researching this on and off for 6 months. Is there any way to copy driver files from one machine to another and then having it work?

What to do?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi louarnold,

what shows up when you look in Control Panel > Sound?, anything or at all nothing?. :)

1601361964797.png

Reaction score
Hi louarnold,

go to the following site and try the HP tool.

If you can find older drivers, you can download them and try installing them using "Compatibility Mode". :)

Reaction score
Thanks Wolfie for suggesting the HP website, although it was not actually required.

Problem: The speaker on my HP desktop computer has not worked since I inadvertently "uninstalled" the speaker device itself (within Windows some time after successful Win10 installation). This likely disables the device in the BIOS itself.

The evidence was a small speaker icon on the RHS of the taskbar (the "Tray" with the time and language icons). This icon had a red mark on it, and right-clicking the icon produced a message to the effect that no speaker existed. Any headphones plugged into the computer also did not work.

Note that the solution does not require the HP Support Assistant nor the HP Solution Framework. In fact, the Assistant appears to give HP a way into your computer since Win10 power down warns of another account being active. Note also that the HP website does NOT suggest any driver, although this solution was given in the HP troubleshooting procedures.

The problem with my Win10 internal speaker has been solved with a simple procedure:

1. Shut down your computer.
2. Restart and press whatever key brings up the BIOS Setup.
3. In the BIOS Setup record any settings that are important to you easy operation of the computer. Ex: Boot on power-on, Screen timer, etc.
4. In the BIOS, find and activate "Load defaults and exit".
5. Win10 should come up, install the correct driver, and within seconds, the Tray's speaker icon should come up to normal - ie: no read mark on the icon. You should be able hear sound and adjust volume via the Tray icon.

Good luck.

Specs: System Model HP Compaq dc5750 Small Form Factor
Windows: Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041

Reaction score
Hi louarnold,

great to see you solved it and thanks for your feedback which might well help others. :) :) :)

Ask a Question