SOLVED Audio I/O Issue with Windows Update 1709

Reaction score
Audio devices (recording/playback) are not showing up in the sound menu. Even the generic 'speaker' is gone! Realtek audio also seems to have disappeared from my device manager, and will not reappear after reinstallation (whether that be from mobo manufacturer, or from Realtek themselves). This first occurred after my update to 1709, but it appears not to have created a restore point before the update, so I can't fall back on that, either.

Any help you guys could render would be greatly appreciated!

Specs:
CPU: i5-7600K (Stock clock)
Mobo: Gigabyte H270M-D3H
BIOS: F6 (Latest)
GPU: Galax GTX 1060 6GB
RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666 (2x8 Kit)
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 750
SSD: 120GB Kingston (Boot Drive)
HDD: 2x 3TB Western Digital NAS Red

Bif

Reaction score
Realtek HD audio or I should say Realtek in general has a history of being asleep at the wheel as far as keeping current with compatible drivers.
If you've reinstalled the driver and it still fails to work, I'm not sure what else you can do aside from waiting for MS or Realtek to offer an update.
I'm not sure if using compatibility mode would work perhaps??..
As far as no system restore points, anytime a cumulative is offered it wipes "old" restore points manually or automatically created.
Wish I could be of more help...

Reaction score
Solution found (although it's far from satisfying...)!

Tried to play an audio file from iTunes half-minded, forgetting that I have no audio - I surprised myself by actually hearing something coming out of my headphones.

I'm not sure if the solution was me playing the music, reinstalling Realtek drivers for the 57th time, or simply luck - but the problem has fixed itself.

Ask a Question